Concord Grape Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a very simple wine, I'm sure that's been posted on here before, but I'd like to post my take on it. It yields a very fruity, grapey and typically sweet wine with a very pleasant flavor.
Ingredients:
2 quarts of Concord Grape Juice of your choice. (I like the great value juice, but it's your choice)
1/2 pound of sugar or around 2 cups of white sugar.(Will give you about OG up to roughly 1.095 or 1.105 depending on juice)
1 black tea bag of your choice (optional, it's just for tannin you could just use wine tannin if you have it, but I like doing this for this recipe)
1 packet active dry yeast (also optional, this will be used as a rudimentary yeast nutrient, explained later)
1 tsp or more bread or wine yeast (bread yeast as most know doesn't flocculate well but will still produce a robust product)
Process:
First, I like to make my "yeast nutrient" by bring roughly a 1/3rd cup of water to a boil and adding the sachet of yeast to it. This will kill the bread yeast, making a somewhat basic yeast nutrient that will aid fermentation slightly. To the boiling water, I also add my tea bag and remove it from the heat to let it extract for roughly 5–8 minutes. While the tea is extracting, measure out your sugar and add to the juice and shake vigorously until aerated and mixed well. If you're going to ferment in the bottle your juice came in, I recommend taking about a cup of juice out of the container to make room for sugar and other additives. After the tea has finished extracting, add it to the juice and mix. Once everything is mixed, pitch yeast and let ferment until finished. Rack into a new vessel of your choice and let clarify and rack again until all lees has dropped. If the wine is too dry for your liking, back sweeten and stabilize with your preferred method. Let wine age for roughly 3 or more months for bottling into your vessels of choice.

Back