sparkl fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t0ny

Reaction score
Hi, First post. New to the forum. New to the 'hobby'.

I got several gallons going of several flavors. And they were all kind of finishing up at the same time. So all together now, I added the lloid at the same time as the k-meta and sorbate as specified on the skeeter pee page.

My sparkalloid supplier obviously buys in bulk, then resells in packages. These packages include instructions. Well, his instructions for sparkalloid were off. It said add to boiling water stir and toss. So I boiled water. Pulled it off the burner, stirred in the lloid and I tossed it into the freshly racked wine. About an hour later the lloid settled to the bottom. So I googled it up and discovered I was supposed to boil and stir for 30 minutes, while boiling. And then it should turn "creamy". *sigh* I will chastise my supplier later.

How should I overcome this newb error. Should I...

a> rerack asap. and then readd the lloid?

b> wait a few weeks to let the sorbate & k-meta do its thing. then re-rack, add the lloid and wait for it to do its thing.

c> skip the lloid completely.

d> just go ahead and add more lloid right now without racking because too much lloid wont hurt anything, especially if has all settled to the bottom.

e> Let the wine sit a few months and you don't need any additive to make it settle.

Negative.

Add 1/2 tsp Kmeta, 2 1/2 tsp sorbate, and Sparkolliod (follow directions on the package). After two weeks, the Skeeter Pee should be crystal clear. Rack into a clean, sanitized carboy, add 6 cups sugar, and stir to dissolve. Wait two weeks to be sure no new fermentation begins and bottle
http://skeeterpee.com/?page_id=17

you could just make a batch of sparkolloid as it should be and stir it into your wine (still hot). it'll clear up nice and if there was any sediment that you stirred up when re adding sparkolloid, it'll clear with the sparkolloid.

Back