sour taste in lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johannes

Reaction score
What can I do to prevent acetaldehyde from oxidation when I bottle? I use an autosiphon with a cheap bottle filler. The beer starts out fine and then developes a slight sourness ala budweiser. Thanks

Acetaldehyde and oxidation are different. You can prevent Acetaldehyde by good sanitation practices. Oxidation may be prevented by avoiding hot side aeration, and keeping O2 out of your beer after fementation. Splashing has been know to cause aeration.

Sorry to ask the obvious question, but are you bottling in dark brown bottles and keeping them out of the light. I'm just wondering if the sourness you are tasting is skunking.

Chad

It took about two weeks to develop. I know that acet can form from bad sanitation, but I don't think this is it. I had have of the batch in a party pig and it was great for two weeks and only when it was almost gone did a little sourness appear. I read that oxygen at bottling can cause a reverse reaction of alcohol to acetaldehyde. I believe I let in too much O2 from my siphoning hose. I use brown bottles. It isn't skunk. It has a budweiseresque bite. It is still drinkable but I wondered if anyone else had this happen.

Latest posts

Back