Sort of double pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeppilot

Reaction score
So I have been reading up on proper yeast pitching rates and have learned that I have been using the bare minimum to get the job done. Of course, I learn this a mere 4 days after I just put an Oktoberfest into primary. I used a single Activator smack pack and the beer has a 1.055 OG. I now know the proper rate for that OG would be the equivalent of two packs.

Being 4 days into primary, is it too late to add a second smack pack? What are the problems if so, and if not, is there a proper way to add the second pack?

Being 4 days into primary, is it too late to add a second smack pack?

It wouldn't help anything, since the bulk of fermentation has probably already occurred. Your beer will be fine - many people routinely underpitch and make good beer.

Pitching the proper rate certainly does help the beer, though. If you can afford to buy two packs of yeast for future batches, that's fine. You might also want to look into how to make a yeast starter.

Actually for a lager it would be more like 4 packs or vials. I think you need to just let it ride this time but I'd definitely learn to make a starter for next time.

Actually for a lager it would be more like 4 packs or vials. I think you need to just let it ride this time but I'd definitely learn to make a starter for next time.

Agreed, I missed the beer style the first time through.

Thanks for the info everyone. I actually used an European Ale yeast because I don't have lagering capability yet, so that is why I said 2 packs or around 200 billion cells would be proper. I have a stirplate that is in the works, just not ready yet. Will be for the next batch though. Cheers! :mug:

There are 3 situations where a normal packet of yeast won't do the job in a 5 gallon batch...

1) When you have poor sanitation, and you need your yeast culture to out-compete any bacteria/mold that may have gotten in.

2) When you have a beer with an abnormally high starting gravity like 1.07 or 1.08 the extra starting yeast improves your FG by a slight amount

3) When your using a large quantity of honey in your beer because for some reason yeast take a LOOOOOOOONG time to ferment honey (some meads can take up to a year)

A lot of us double pitch because for the extra $3.00 it's basically an insurance policy, but it's hardly "necessary" for most batches.

Andrew5329 said:
2) When you have a beer with an abnormally high starting gravity like 1.07 or 1.08 the extra starting yeast improves your FG by a slight amount

Gonna have to respectfully disagree. According to the commonly quoted pitching rate of 1 mil viable cells per ml per degree plato, a 100 billion cell smack pack would be good for a 5 gallon batch only up to 1.020.

This isn't to say you won't make beer if you underpitch, but it probably isn't optimal.

Gonna have to respectfully disagree. According to the commonly quoted pitching rate of 1 mil viable cells per ml per degree plato, a 100 billion cell smack pack would be good for a 5 gallon batch only up to 1.020.

This isn't to say you won't make beer if you underpitch, but it probably isn't optimal.

Right. It could probably be better, but it will still be beer. And beer is good.

The ester profile may be different from expected. It might finish a little high. It'll probably taste just fine, though.

Considering that yeast cells have a doubling time of 90 minutes in their active phase, provided they have enough to eat, starting only 90 minutes behind your double pitching friend isn't terribly significant, especially when most of us here habitually leave their beer in primary for close to a month (or they do a secondary fermentation where the beer is still in one bucket or another for same amount of time.)

You will have a few more cell bodies at the end if you double pitch, which will ferment a bit more sugar before they go into the slow, dormant phase. But if your doing the month long fermentation then the difference will be small.

As I said before, double pitching is more of an insurance policy, in-case the viable yeast cells in a packet were abnormally low, or if you need your yeast to out-race potential bacterial exposure (since bacteria have a doubling time of only 20 min)

My curiosity was more for the idea of adding a second smack pack 4 days after the initial pitch. (Why I couldn't have learned about proper pitching rates 4 days prior, I won't ever know.) Anyway, I transferred to secondary yesterday (at 6 six days since brewed) and took a SG reading of 1.020. The OG was 1.054 and the desired FG is 1.014, so I'm hoping that the final .006 will be taken care of during a good 3 week secondary. As for the ester, I'm sure it will be a touch high, but live and learn.

Back