100% WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii or co-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi All,

I ordered a pack of WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii and am trying to decide what to brew with it.
My Idea was to use it in a standard Belgian Triple (recipe below)

The plan is brew 10 gallons and split it in two.
The first half will be with WY3787 Trappist yeast and the second half with WLP645.
Would it work to do 100% WLP645 or would it be better to co-pitch with some more WY3787?
I don't mind waiting as I have enough other beers to drink.
I might even add some oak cubes.

Thanks!

1705072867720.png

Last edited:
I use brett the way that Orval uses it. Pitch it after primary fermentation with a regular sacch yeast. Also, my understanding is that in historic English brewing brett kicked in when the beer was put into wooden casks after fermentation had finished. It's possible that Brett lurked in fermenters too, so co-fermentation may be authentic. Authenticity may not be your aim, but I know brett can have a big impact on beer even when most of the fermentation is with regular brewing yeast.

Thanks Duncan.

I actually brewed this last weekend and went for the co-pitching from the start method.
My starter with the Trappist yeast didn't have as much yeast as I would like for two batches so I used most of it for the Tripel and kept the rest for making a starter for another beer.
For the Brett beer I copitched with BE-134 dry saision yeast instead.
Both were chugging along at about 20oC within 12 hours of pitching in an 18oC basement.

I only have room in my fermentation fridge for one fermerter so I'll put the triple in there later today and start controling the temperature so it doesn't cool down and stall after the fermentation slows.
For the brett beer I'm going to just let it do it's thing for 3 weeks and then transfer to a secondary and age for a 3 to 6 months, so it should ferment to the end before I package it.

If you want to do a 100% Brett ferment, use the WLP-644. The WLP-645 is the Claussenii strain which Claussen discovered in British Stock Ales and Barleywines. The WLP-644 Brett Brux Trois works fine for single yeast usage.

If you want to do a 100% Brett ferment, use the WLP-644. The WLP-645 is the Claussenii strain which Claussen discovered in British Stock Ales and Barleywines. The WLP-644 Brett Brux Trois works fine for single yeast usage.
Yeah I have some of that here.
I did an NEIPA with it a few months ago and it worked out nice.
However, they discovered a while ago that it is not a true Brett strain like they originally thought but a sacc strain that acts a bit strange.

Back