Weyermann Barke Pilsner - too malty for light styles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
General question regarding this malt. I have brewed both a helles and an italian style pilsner using this as the base malt, both using a hochkurz decoction mash, and both using 34/70 yeast. I found that both beers tasted too malty for the styles, and my italian pilsner tastes a bit like cough syrup: Malty, sweet, and with a slight cherry flavor.

Has anyone else found that barke imparts too much of a grainy/malty flavor for light styles?

I use it in most of my lagers including German Pils, Helles etc. and have not noticed that. I wonder if the decoction brought out more meltiness? I usually just step mash.

I've used it in one of my best beers, a German style pils that was a little bit over-hopped with some new-world hops. It didn't seem overly malty to me when mashed for good attenuation. I did a step mash with some decoction but mostly powered by my eBIAB setup for steps. I was at 126 for 10 minutes, ramped to 144 and held for 45 minutes (pulled about 1.5gal out here to bring to 160, then to boil), then ramped to 156 for 30 minutes. 34/70.

Back