Some help needed ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danieljhb

Reaction score
Hey all.
Going to to do a test brew for two full grain recipes playing with adjuncts.
Question I have is will there be enough enzymes to convert the starches in the adjuncts.
Aim of both recipies is a light session beers
That could ferment out in under 8 days so then they should be " bottled" rested for 3 weeks till the Christmas break.

All brews about 20l
I have a room for a constant 16'c for fermentation

Rep 1:
2kg Simpsons pale malt
0.1 kg acidic malt.
0.5 kg biscuit malt
2kg rice ( cereal mashed first)

Hops tbc...

Rep 2:
2kg pilsner malt
0.1 kg acidic malt
0.2kg carahell
0.1kg carared
0.2kg carapils
1kg instant whole flake oats ( cereal mashed )
.5kg Tate and lyel golden syrup

Thinking single hop similar to ipa style

Rep 3) gluten free idea.
2kg King Korn malted sorgum
2kg rice
1kg brown sugar
1kg frozen black cherries
Dried juniper berries instead of hops ?

Thanks for helping the stupid noobes here

I think so, I remember reading about how there is a huge tax on malt in japan so instead they use rice and add just a slight amount of malt for the enzymes. My guess was like 2% or something?

It looks like your at 50% and over. I dont think you will have any problems.

For full conversion you want a minimum Diastatic Power (DP) of 35 °Lintner in your total grist mix. A bit higher is better as it will convert faster and possibly more thorough. So many brewers will aim for around 40-45.

Only diastatic malts have a °Lintner value, everything else is 0.

Rep 1:
2kg Simpsons pale malt
Is this your malt?
https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-golden-promise/
Diastatic Power °Lintner: 50 - 75

If it's this malt, https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/best-pale-ale-malt/, same values

So at the minimum level it can convert itself plus 1/3 of its weight of another non-diastatic malt/grain/adjunct.
At its maximum level it can convert itself plus roughly an equal amount of its weight of another non-diastatic malt/grain/adjunct.

So the answer is no, there is not enough DP to convert an additional 2.6 kg of non-diastatic malts and adjuncts along:
0.1 kg acidic malt
0.5 kg biscuit malt

What are you cereal mashing your rice with?

Rep 2:
2kg pilsner malt
0.1 kg acidic malt
0.2kg carahell
0.1kg carared
0.2kg carapils
1kg instant whole flake oats ( cereal mashed )

.5kg Tate and lyel golden syrup

Most Pilsner Malts have a fairly high DP, 120-150°Lintner is very common, although some undermodified Pilsner malts may top out at 70-90.
Since you only have 1.6 kilo of non-diastatic malts and adjuncts, even with a most modest DP of 70, 2 kg of Pilsner malt will be able to convert an additional amount equal to its own weight. You're very safe there.

The Lyle's syrup does not need conversion. I would add it to fermenter dissolved with some hot wort from the kettle. Keep that mixture well sanitary of course.

Again, what are you planning to use to cereal mash your flaked oats? They really don't need it, they are already pregelatinized (especially the "instant" type) due to the flaking/rolling process, and can go straight in the mash as they are.

For full conversion you want a minimum Diastatic Power (DP) of 35 °Lintner in your total grist mix. A bit higher is better as it will convert faster and possibly more thorough. So many brewers will aim for around 40-45.

Only diastatic malts have a °Lintner value, everything else is 0.

Rep 1:
2kg Simpsons pale malt
Is this your malt?
https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/finest-pale-ale-golden-promise/
Diastatic Power °Lintner: 50 - 75

If it's this malt, https://www.simpsonsmalt.co.uk/our-malts/best-pale-ale-malt/, same values

So at the minimum level it can convert itself plus 1/3 of its weight of another non-diastatic malt/grain/adjunct.
At its maximum level it can convert itself plus roughly an equal amount of its weight of another non-diastatic malt/grain/adjunct.

So the answer is no, there is not enough DP to convert an additional 2.6 kg of non-diastatic malts and adjuncts along:
0.1 kg acidic malt
0.5 kg biscuit malt

What are you cereal mashing your rice with?
Hi. Maybe/ probably new guy using the wrong language .
Re cereal mash.... Boil the starch till max extraction . Then allow to cool and then add to the malt from the start. Want to do a iodine test. To see if I get Max conversion.

Thanks for the above answer re the malt and how to calculate expected enzyme levels

You're going to boil/simmer the rice for 1-2 hours in enough water to gelatinize it, so the enzymes can get to the starches during the mash and convert them. To convert all the starches in your grain mix the average DP needs to be at least 35°Lintner. 2 kg of that Pale malt won't be enough in that recipe. Not even close.

You can do a small test mash and see for yourself.

Back