So...You Want to Breed Your Own Hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My post was saying "the environnement and its diseases".

I do agree that you cannot assume a resistance to a specific disease just because the plant did not show any signs of it. But, because there is no such thing as a diseases free environnement except maybe in labs, you can assume that wathever pathogens/pests are around, the wild plant is resistant or tolerant to it (plant is alive, right?). And wathever the whims of nature were, the plant has survived. That's what I meant.

When you start from seeds (even seeds from wild plants), you have to go through all that process by yourself and sometimes protect a plant that would'nt have made it in the wild.

Wild plants may not have the "brewing qualities" that you are looking for, but they certainly have the "surviving qualities" (of their environment/location) that you are looking for.

That's my opinion and I respect it ! :D

How did your plants do this year by the way? Anything to note?

I had one in particular that was very hardy and the cones were very good brewing quality, however, most of my other females weren't as vigorous and the cones had a funky onion/garlic aroma. I'll see next year if this aroma was due to the variety or just being first year seedlings. Any input would be welcome.

How did your plants do this year by the way? Anything to note?

They did nicely... I would say that they all have a little something special. No bad surprise on the aroma/flavor side. Even the 2 wild females that I found here in Quebec are very interesting. I would definetly brew with any of them. I have a good base for breeding.

I had bad cone infections late in the season. I have collected, and still have to, a few cones. I collected no data regarding cone characteristics. There are both male and females with a range of vigor and susceptibility. I'm still trying to sort through the wild material I collected, and being preoccupied by other things doesn't help.

After I've finished collecting cones from my plants, I'll be cutting them down and taking further measurements inside where it's warm!

The sieve idea is great, except I keep finding that I need a successively smaller screen size to sort the chaff out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413328163.579652.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1413328184.379418.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1413328194.492396.jpg

I identified several new female plants growing "wild". I didn't have much time to dig around and collect cones, etc. so I wasn't able to identify many plants in the surrounding area, but I plan on making a pit-stop in the spring for rhizomes if possible. I will also check out the surrounding area in the future for a larger population.

Just a quick note as well, this is a distinct find separate from the earlier one. This and the other location are approximately an hour apart.

I had one in particular that was very hardy and the cones were very good brewing quality, however, most of my other females weren't as vigorous and the cones had a funky onion/garlic aroma. I'll see next year if this aroma was due to the variety or just being first year seedlings. Any input would be welcome.

alane, this can be just a consequence of first year growth. I will say that all of you seemed to do well this year, and I think as long as you maintain a small population that will be to your benefit. Otherwise you may run into issues of space or other upkeep duties.

Well, I'm finished sifting through a large majority of the seed. At least what I feel is acceptable for now. I'll give an estimate in the days to come.

Well, I'm finished sifting through a large majority of the seed. At least what I feel is acceptable for now. I'll give an estimate in the days to come.

Rough estimate...

Upper bound estimate based on roughly 7 ounces of seed collected. Several seed samples were weighed and the average was used to for an estimate. Approximately ~99,500 seeds.

A lower bound estimate was given by using an estimated number of seeds per ounce based on Amazon dealers offering different packages. This lead to an estimate of ~60,000 seeds.

What to do?

Rough estimate...

Upper bound estimate based on roughly 7 ounces of seed collected. Several seed samples were weighed and the average was used to for an estimate. Approximately ~99,500 seeds.

A lower bound estimate was given by using an estimated number of seeds per ounce based on Amazon dealers offering different packages. This lead to an estimate of ~60,000 seeds.

What to do?

Just count them to be sure.... :D

Just count them to be sure.... :D

If you had a permit...

I'm also nearly finished threshing flowers from my directed crosses and O.P. All but two directed crosses set seed, and those that did had low numbers. Seed set ranged from 1- 20ish, but there is seed!

I'm also nearly finished threshing flowers from my directed crosses and O.P. All but two directed crosses set seed, and those that did had low numbers. Seed set ranged from 1- 20ish, but there is seed!

All you need now is 30 acres of land to grow all those future seedlings !

I'll need more than 30 acres, more like 60. At least if I want a spot for each plant.

So this year....

5 open-pollinated crosses (1 collected from an individual from the wild population also listed below, separately)
4 directed crosses (out of 6)
1 wild population (several females grouped collectively)
6 seed purchases from different online vendors
Plus numerous accessions from the USDA that are setup to overwinter as well as other germinated seeds from earlier this year.

Several wild populations identified, and numerous different "wild" plants from HBT members.

Thanks to everyone who helped, winter is going to be busy prepping for the spring and determining selections to be made on currently planted seedlings.

I came across some wild female plants, and since I won't be living in the same state next spring I puked some rhizomes. .. But my question, and I'm asking here rather than some other thread because I really respect the opinions of you guys/gals, is can I just plant them on a pot and leave them outside, our should I leave them in all winter,or should I leave them in to routed and then put them out? I really don't want to kill them.... Especially since the cones smelled so tasty.

Any insight would be great, thanks.

I came across some wild female plants, and since I won't be living in the same state next spring I puked some rhizomes. .. But my question, and I'm asking here rather than some other thread because I really respect the opinions of you guys/gals, is can I just plant them on a pot and leave them outside, our should I leave them in all winter,or should I leave them in to routed and then put them out? I really don't want to kill them.... Especially since the cones smelled so tasty.

Any insight would be great, thanks.

How long ago did you pluck the rhizomes? Are they already currently planted/rooted? Or did you just recently harvest them?

If you just harvested them, there are two things I would consider. Hops require a certain length of time in dormancy before returning to active growth. This is normally achieved after flowering and subsequent deterioration of the above ground (herbaceous) growth and is promoted by decreasing daylengths and temperatures. If one is to remove a rhizome/cutting at this point before a a sufficient dormant period has been achieved, it will not actively root or produce new growth. This is because you've interrupted the natural process...

To overcome this requirement, I would recommend that you take the rhizomes, remove most of the debris by washing, etc. pat them dry (no standing water needed, that is conducive to rot), and follow by placing them in a sealed bag or container and evenly mist them or keep them in moist paper towels. Place them in your fridge, in a out of the way spot. Check on them periodically (weekly) to make sure they're free from any mold, etc.

What you should notice, after whatever length of time (likely several weeks) is the shoots (buds) will initiate growth when their dormancy requirements have been fulfilled. You'll like find that the shoots become etiolated (extended, leggy growth) and blanched. That's ok! Pot them up, find a nice, warm, sunny spot on a window sill and nurse it along until you can plant it outside. Even better, by a grow lamp and give it some nutrients. Or, if you have the capability, hydroponics!

Either way, this should be just enough to hold you over until spring.

So, a quick recap.

-Clean the rhizomes (preferably with distilled water, as even most city-treated water contains minute amounts of microorganisms).
-Pat dry, no standing water!
-Place in a moist towel, within a plastic container or sealed bag. Again, no standing water.
-Check them weekly, leaving the bag/container open to allow sufficient moisture to evaporate, though you could also clean the container with a towel to remove excess moisture. (Even though they are dormant, they are still respiring and using energy, and they need to replenish with some fresh air.)
-When they initiate new growth, plant them out and baby them until you can plant them!

Also, make sure your rhizomes have buds on them! I've seen a number of people take cuttings, only to realize they've crippled their plants by cutting roots and not rhizomes. (So not only do you lose your mature plant, but you get nothing in return!)

Bury them in the ground now and dig them up when you gotta move. Then stick them in the ground wherever you land. This is a scenario similar to when I found my first wild rhizomes. They're pretty much dormant and should survive the move well.

Bury them in the ground now and dig them up when you gotta move. Then stick them in the ground wherever you land. This is a scenario similar to when I found my first wild rhizomes. They're pretty much dormant and should survive the move well.

Or do this.

Thanks! I partially did some of these things intuitively. I planted most of them in a pot and put a couple in the fridge (clean), but the ones in the fridge don't have little nubbins for growth. So I will carefully dig up the potted ones and then put them in the fridge after a nice cleaning. If I wasn't leaving in December (in NY) I would plant them in the yard, but digging in December is not high on my list of things I want to do.

I may go back to the site and dig a fresh set that have already had their bines die off.

Thanks again!

Thanks! I partially did some of these things intuitively. I planted most of them in a pot and put a couple in the fridge (clean), but the ones in the fridge don't have little nubbins for growth. So I will carefully dig up the potted ones and then put them in the fridge after a nice cleaning. If I wasn't leaving in December (in NY) I would plant them in the yard, but digging in December is not high on my list of things I want to do.

I may go back to the site and dig a fresh set that have already had their bines die off.

Thanks again!

Good luck! Keep track of the location!

Yo ,

Tried to reply to your private message and got: "PapaBearJay has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Though you should know...

Let's try this again...

I just got my microscope pieces, now it's time assemble it. Well, later anyways.

Started a small experiment today with seed germination. I'll am using ethanol or isopropanol as sterilants before placing them into "germination chambers" or moist paper towels within plastic bags. Both have excellent microbicidal activities and I hope to determine which is better, and how long of a treatment might be necessary to reduce contamination.

I've attached the general guideline from this years breeding experiments. Seeds are currently stratifying, which poses some logistical issues for space, etc. I've got time though....

hop_breeding_2014.jpg

A wild selection that shows monoecious behaviors, but is very reminiscent of Magnum.

Where did you get it from... just out of curiosity?

The pollen that I started with was from a Magnum that had displayed monoecious behaviors. Our nickname for that plant was "Magnus".

Where did you get it from... just out of curiosity?

The pollen that I started with was from a Magnum that had displayed monoecious behaviors. Our nickname for that plant was "Magnus".

It was actually the one surviving rhizome that alane1 had sent me. Hah!

When I was deciding on names, I reverted to similarities to cultivars, then worked off that. I do like the X-Men reference though.

Strange... because two of those characters are female.
Unfortunatly Polaris (the best one) is already takes: https://www.hopunion.com/german-polaris/

Also, theme?
- Zeus
- Fuggle
- Herkules
- Nelson Sauvin

Excellent point, indeed. I still don't want to brew with 'Wiener', the newest hop variety.

Boy names for hops are less attractive anyways. 'Spongebob' or 'Mr. Krabby' make awesome names though...

Awesome Thread!

I've been reading and thinking about hop breeding for a couple of years and just came across this one. I've always wanted to find some wild H. Lupulus var. Pubescens since they're native to my area (Kansas City/Missouri River Valley) The Hops germplasm database lists several ascensions found by one of their scouting missions about an hour north of me in Rulo Nebraska.

I was able to get pretty close to the GPS coordinates of the Rulo hops site but didn't have any luck, I need a better GPS and less fear of poison ivy before I try again.

Have you guys had any luck requesting weird germplasm through GRIN? I've submitted several requests but never heard anything back, I'm sure they've got better things to do than humor nuts like me.

Anyway, I really want to get my hands on some of these hops to see what they're like (pubescens = hairy?) and breed a hop variety with some local roots. Any suggestions? If any of you are in the are and want to go on a wild hop safari this spring PM me :rockin:

Back