Seeking Hallertau Rhizomes (Michigan)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Passito

Reaction score
I'm looking specifically for 1-2 regular HALLERTAU or Mittelfruh hop rhizomes to plant in my garden this Spring 2023. I am German and located near Pontiac Michigan area if that matters. Am looking for a friendship gift from a kind fellow homebrewer and I will provide you the prepaid shipping label. Danke.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106-152000.png
    Screenshot_20230106-152000.png
    430.8 KB · Views: 0
I recently read this hop is trademarked (or whatever the appropriate term is). If that’s the case, it will be very difficult to get your hands on it.

I must have misinterpreted your statement - "I recently read this hop is trademarked". There are a few that came out of the breeding program in Hull that include the Hallertau name like 'Blanc', 'Tradition' that are protected/trademarked, but for all I've ever learned over the years is that 'landrace' hops can't be protected like that. The whole 'Golding', 'Kent Golding', 'East Kent Golding' situation is a little different. Any way, it can be found for sale at various suppliers: Hallertau MF - Field Grade, https://www.thymegarden.com/product...tified-organic-alpha-3-5-pre-order-for-spring, Hallertau | Sandy Ridge Farms

Many years before the hop craze we've been in for the last 15 or so years, many hops in use were basically just varieties or 'types' that people of certain regions found growing locally and began cultivating them to be used in the beers they brewed. Hops found in the Hallertau region were selected for the pleasant 'hoppiness' they provided to the beers they were used in, and certain 'types' ripened at different times. They weren't really given names but called by the region they were growing like 'Hallertau', 'Hersbruck', 'Spalt' and so on. Haha, instead of me trying to blather on about this, I found what I wanted to say in an article with info provided by Shellhammer and Val Peacock: The Oxford Companion to Beer Definition of Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (hop). Hops - Freshops

@Passito I found Hallertau MF at Great Lakes Hops. I ordered some from there they are plants not rhizomes. I had bad luck with rhizomes over the past two seasons so I opted to go with established plants hopping for better results.

If you are not able to find them, you could always try US Mt. Hood hops which are the daughter of Mittelfruh and Liberty hops. Or even Liberty itself which also comes from Mittelfruh and a downy mildew resistant German male hop. Both of these hops are very German Nobel like and very similar to Mittelfruh.

@Passito I found Hallertau MF at Great Lakes Hops. I ordered some from there they are plants not rhizomes. I had bad luck with rhizomes over the past two seasons so I opted to go with established plants hopping for better results.
Hey reading the thread, I have to say thank you! I have had a single Hallertau MF plant for about 8 years, and its been in a pot growing along. and I was looking to get a second. Cant find rhizomes but took a look at your recomendation, a bit more pricey but worth it. I assume the IPA/Hazy/"American" wheat etc. craze has made them almost impossible to find because they have fallen out of design. Love to make truly traditional beers along with my experiments, and was hopping to make a nice wheat with fresh hops, but my one lone guy just doesn't produce enough. The Comet and Cascade grow like weeds in my garden, and overwhelm everything else, need constant attention like a millennial!

Latest posts

Back