So, you are at a non-craft beer place... What do you order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bowed out since I really only like to stir the pot in these threads. But since you asked

This debate again? Breweries getting away with using a FARMERS license by planting a hop vine or two on the premises and thinking it is kosher? Really, did they honestly it was just "Oh the government never mentioned a percentage, lets just see what we can get away with" to "Oh sweet they aren't judiciously enforcing the law so we are good to keep taking advantage of it" to "WHAT THEY ARE ENFORCING THE LAW? THAT IS SOOOO UNFAIR, THE INJUSTICE IS UNBELIEVABLE." Since they were never called out on it, it how is it some huge shock that the government finally did call them out on it. I agree there should be another category to address small breweries, or even just replace the Farmers license all together. Legislative branches write laws, but they are open to interpretation by judicial systems. Its the way America works. If you want to knowingly bend the rules, I respect that, just don't ***** when you get called out on it. Sam Adams got away with it? Cool but it doesn't mean every brewery should.

I honestly pulled the distribution thing out of my ass to piss people off who are WAAAAAAAY too emotionally invested in pointless threads.
This is too much fun. I don't live in Mass. I couldn't care less about the issue. Hopefully this thread gets closed soon.

EDIT: Forget it, it ain't worth it if, if you aren't going to bother to read anything about how the regulators have specifically allowed the license to be used for years and years and years, I ain't gonna debate you.

Every beer in America has to go through a distributor.

It is a double standard...every time a small brewery does something illegial and gets away with it people root for them (example: recent mass. legislation). Or how craft breweries can piggyback on the big guys, but act the victim if something doesn't go their way. It may be the underdog mentallity or just the way things work, but you should never expect to have your cake and eat it too.

you are clearly not aware of the crappy beer laws in texas. In many other states you can walk into a brewpub or brewery and buy the beer to take home. That beer did not go through a distributor.

In texas, there are two really crappy laws that hamper growth of the craft beer industry:
A brewery (in texas, that means they distribute to store shelves and bars) you can't buy the beer from where the beer is made. you must go to store or bar and buy it.
A brewpub on the other hand CAN'T sell their beer to distributors to put on grocery shelves or other bars taps. They can only sell to someone who comes in the brewpub.

When starting up a beer making company, you have to decide, do I want to go through distributor and sell on grocer shelves and beer taps, or do I want to only sell to those that come in my establishment.

it is very hindering, considering texas has no problem bringing in beers from brewpubs around the nation to sell, yet, a brewpub in texas can't distribute to other locations in texas.

I bowed out since I really only like to stir the pot in these threads. . . .

I honestly pulled the distribution thing out of my ass to piss people off who are WAAAAAAAY too emotionally invested in pointless threads.
This is too much fun . . .

Hopefully this thread gets closed soon.

Posting for the purpose of stirring the pot and to piss people off, raising contention because its fun, and posting for the purpose of getting threads closed is inappropriate, in my opinion.

We've all been pulled into back-and-forth debates in forums and emails, and have been contentious just for hell of it. I suspect that on reflection, most of us regret that behavior.

This is too much fun. I don't live in Mass. I couldn't care less about the issue. Hopefully this thread gets closed soon.

This type of mentality will get you banned before a thread gets closed.

Personally, I'd just go ahead and order a BMC, then spend the rest of the night being a prick about it. I'd make sure everyone knew how bad a beer it really is and why the beers I like are so much better.

Seriously, why would I order something I didn't like? There's no test of character here; no moral choice to be made. Real beer snobs are obnoxious but the anti-beer snob crowd have developed their own version of political correctness that is equally obnoxious.

Applebee's had PBR cans for a dollar. Had one of those, with something off of the under 550 calories menu on Saturday night.

I went to a concert Sunday night...only beer I could find was Bud L, Coors L, or Miller L. I used to drink Miller L, so I ordered up a couple drafts. The first went down a little rough as I've not had any in a good long while, second was some what better, then before I knew it they were going down smooth and fast. I must have had more than I thought due to the headache the next morning. I'm not running to the store to buy a case, but at an outside concert in the heat they sure hit the spot.

Most places here at least have Guinness. I'll drink Guinness all day. If it's really a choice between bud and bud light, I'll have a Coke. Chances are I am not there to drink anyway (Food). Tell ya what more and more, I live in the city, bars will offer at least one craft brew on tap and usually have good stuff in bottles.

So, you have all been there. You are at a bar or restaurant watching a game or hanging with some friends and the only appetizer on the menu is nachos and in my case quesadillas is also on the list here in AZ.

What do you do? I don't eat nachos, and hors d'oeuvres is considered too feminine by some, if I even want that sleeping pill. So what do you order?

Personally, I have stopped eating, unless there is a high appetizer that I want to eat. Even if like mini egg-rolls, and onion rings are on then menu I will not eat an ap.
I am still trying to fight off allowing a gut to form on my midsection, so I allow myself to "take nights off" from eating when I go somewhere without what I consider a good first course.
So now I am an ultra food snob to these guys who only see me eating crab cakes or some really expensive stuff that they are afraid to try.

Is this just me? I honestly can not eat the mass produced starters anymore, my tastebuds have been spoiled. The closest thing to a major snack that I can eat is some Reuben Sliders (but even that is tough anymore).

so, you have all been there. You are at a bar or restaurant watching a game or hanging with some friends and the only appetizer on the menu is nachos and in my case quesadillas is also on the list here in az.

What do you do? I don't eat nachos, and hors d'oeuvres is considered too feminine by some, if i even want that sleeping pill. So what do you order?

Personally, i have stopped eating, unless there is a high appetizer that i want to eat. Even if like mini egg-rolls, and onion rings are on then menu i will not eat an ap.
I am still trying to fight off allowing a gut to form on my midsection, so i allow myself to "take nights off" from eating when i go somewhere without what i consider a good first course.
So now i am an ultra food snob to these guys who only see me eating crab cakes or some really expensive stuff that they are afraid to try.

Is this just me? I honestly can not eat the mass produced starters anymore, my tastebuds have been spoiled. The closest thing to a major snack that i can eat is some reuben sliders (but even that is tough anymore).

+1

So, you have all been there. You are at a bar or restaurant watching a game or hanging with some friends and the only appetizer on the menu is nachos and in my case quesadillas is also on the list here in AZ.

What do you do? I don't eat nachos, and hors d'oeuvres is considered too feminine by some, if I even want that sleeping pill. So what do you order?

Personally, I have stopped eating, unless there is a high appetizer that I want to eat. Even if like mini egg-rolls, and onion rings are on then menu I will not eat an ap.
I am still trying to fight off allowing a gut to form on my midsection, so I allow myself to "take nights off" from eating when I go somewhere without what I consider a good first course.
So now I am an ultra food snob to these guys who only see me eating crab cakes or some really expensive stuff that they are afraid to try.

Is this just me? I honestly can not eat the mass produced starters anymore, my tastebuds have been spoiled. The closest thing to a major snack that I can eat is some Reuben Sliders (but even that is tough anymore).

Then you're SOL you food EAC.

Hey, that is :off:were talking bout beer here:D

But in all seriousness, if I'm in the mood for a beer with my food i'm gonna have a beer. I dont think I have ever been to a place that serves beer that did not have at least one import beer that was a better choice to me than BMC

Wow I was an asshat earlier. I apologize to everyone for my stupidity and making an ass out of myself. Constructive arguing or nothing at all from here on out for me!

Naw I am fat already anyway and I am a little bit of a foodie. People seem to like what I cook but I can still appreciate some garbage food especially if I am hungry and or drunk.

Too long for a signature snag but throwing out the :rockin: on this one. Love it!

I rarely go out and when we do its almost never to a place that serves craft beer. I still order beer because beer is awesome and only awesome people drink it.

EAC = External Anal Clamp. Perfect for the Taco-Bell morning after Taco-hell.

So, you have all been there...and the only beer on the menu is B/M/C...

Nope. I stand up and leave. If my friends insist on "this is where we drink tonight!" I get new friends. (Insert F-bomb here.) drinking beer I hate. I would rather have 2 tight friends that understand me and what I am about than 100 swill chugging freaks...(No offense to the swill chugging freaks on HBT intended.)

I agree with revvy yuenglings offerings are strong for such a large brewery. What i don't get is the guinness bashing i see here. If that is one tap i'll take that over almost anything unless i'm trying something new.

The point of my last post is....

It depends really. If I'm somewhere eating a rather pedestrian hot dog, a BMC might be just fine.

I am not ashamed to admit I drink BMC when it's free. If I am at a keg party and there is a keg of Coors Light, I am drinking that crap as fast as I can to get messed up. Paying for it at the bar I'd rather go with a mixed drink or something tbh.

I agree with revvy yuenglings offerings are strong for such a large brewery. What i don't get is the guinness bashing i see here. If that is one tap i'll take that over almost anything unless i'm trying something new.

I love Guinness. And Yuengling is offered almost everywhere in Pittbsurgh as well so there is not much to worry about.

Wow...this thread has made me thirsty...this is my plan in this order. Hope this can make everyone happy.

The Return of Chtuhlu, (BGSA)

IMG00456.jpg

The Champagne of Beers

IMG00457.jpg

Good Old 1829

IMG00458.jpg

and...finally....tasty darkness...

IMG00459.jpg

Cheers

Budweiser, hands down.

I'm on vaca now, surrounded by craft beer. I've had a crap load of beer, but I still have a Bud in the fridge too. I like to think of it as a grown man's Gatorade.

Beer is beer. Some is obviously better than others and I prefer craft beer by a landslide, but a Bud on a hot day ain't too bad either. This I learned from my little bro who hates craft beer, but loves Bud.

Also, when you are able to partake in a simple BMC, it makes you more sociable instead of looking like some sort of spoiled royalty in a commoner's place.

re: EAC

I did a search for it and basically found a bunch of jokes about how hard it is to find the meaning to. Its some kind of HBT elitist inside joke or something. Probably not worth anyone's time or frustration.

You have to be a premium member to see it......

Kinda lame imo, but whatever.

Also, when you are able to partake in a simple BMC, it makes you more sociable instead of looking like some sort of spoiled royalty in a commoner's place.

I think sociability has less to do with what you're drinking and more to do with with how much.

I don't care much for light lagers regardless of who makes them. I'd rather drink water than a Bud.

I would take a Yuengling. They were like gold in Ohio, but I believe they have finally started distributing there.

sudsmcgee said:
You have to be a premium member to see it......

Kinda lame imo, but whatever.

I know, its really lame how they accept a contribution for this wonderful forum where you can learn about absolutely anything brew related and get any question answered by incredibly experienced brewers within minutes... I don't even know why I bother logging on.

You can contribute in other ways than money. I would rather donate to the other site I am on where they treat non donating people the same as donating people. In fact no one but the owner of the site knows the difference. Just saying.

Beezy said:
You can contribute in other ways than money. I would rather donate to the other site I am on where they treat non donating people the same as donating people. In fact no one but the owner of the site knows the difference. Just saying.

Such as how? Sage advice? The point is, a site like this takes a lot to maintain. And its very well maintained. I have never experienced any kind of bug or glitch, and Im on here every day. I don't know who's responsible for keeping it that way, but likely it takes a lot of time and effort. And when I think about how just a little good advice at the right time can save hundreds of dollars not wasted on crappy homebrew, it feels just fine to spend the equivilent of a 5 gallon batch of hefeweizens worth of cash to keep this thing up and running. Im not sure where else you hang out, but whenever you type a brewing question into Google, its BHT, not Brewdudes, that comes up consistently

bottlebomber said:
Such as how? Sage advice? The point is, a site like this takes a lot to maintain. And its very well maintained. I have never experienced any kind of bug or glitch, and Im on here every day. I don't know who's responsible for keeping it that way, but likely it takes a lot of time and effort. And when I think about how just a little good advice at the right time can save hundreds of dollars not wasted on crappy homebrew, it feels just fine to spend the equivilent of a 5 gallon batch of hefeweizens worth of cash to keep this thing up and running. Im not sure where else you hang out, but whenever you type a brewing question into Google, its BHT, not Brewdudes, that comes up consistently

That's cool I am not going to get into it with you but it doesn't take that much to run and the people that do the day to day are most likely volunteers. I appreciate most of the posters on here. I would never donate here though. The way it's handled here repulses me.

:mug:Stop being so pompous and have a Highlife.:mug:

The 'sham-pag-na' of beers baby! :rockin:

If I have to drink BMC then that's my preference. If I'm out on the boat drinking canned beer in the hot florida sun then it's pretty good. Sure a nice hefe would be worlds better but hey, I'm not gonna thumb my nose at a high life once in a while.

To the original question, I do often pass on the beer at dinner if its just BMC, especially if it's overpriced. I can wait until I get home and have a cold one and watch some tv before bed.

If I'm out drinking with friends and the bar honestly doesn't have good beer then I'd drink either a gin martini, whiskey, or whisky (with a drop of water or 1 ice cube). But really, I never go to a bar that doesn't have good beer.

Latest posts

Back