What do you do with all the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm disabled so each brew is a pretty major task for me. It hones my practice to making large enough batches to serve as muscle-relaxants, while avoiding oxygenation, to last until the next time I can torture myself with a brew-day. 'Disabled' as a worker in Canada also means: "Financially crippled for life" so if I want decent palatable beer that I otherwise can't afford, I need to make it...but hey; I've been using it as a combination of neurolgical and physical therapy that provides an otherwise unattainable Quality of Life. Just brew less and focus on lasting quality until you find what's ideal for you.
Same here. I pay the ”Physical" Price" the next day after brewing 5 gallon batch. But after it’s in the Fermenter 5 hours later, I shower and go to bed. Save the brewpot scrubbing and thorough cleaning 2 days later. But I love to Brew and get my physical therapy while doing so.
Cheers and hang in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we all do about the same...brew less, brew smaller batches, drink it and give it away...

I'm like a beer missionary...I take beer with me whenever anyone has a party, has me over for dinner, etc. Started playing pool with some buddies at one's house and I supply the beer. I'm in a couple of homebrew clubs, so there's another place to take my beer. I invite the neighbors over, or give the some beer when they've done a favor, give away beer as birthday/Christmas presents. I brew for camping trips and take the keg/gas along....whatever it takes to keep brewing!

I also like 5gal batches, so I gotta get creative. I keep 2 kegs on tap most times, sometimes a third if it's a stronger beer. I also am older and drink less as do all my older friends. Used to brew 26+ times a year (mostly 10 gal batches) but down to 12-13 5gal batches per year. 588 batches (brewing today) and counting!

Oh yeah, I also put away plenty of craft brew, local or otherwise...my poor liver :)

Our closest friends that we hang with either don't drink at all, or drink something other than beer. Then again, there's always that stigma that some people have that 'homebrewed beer is not good'. I've changed some minds there with a few of mine, but we just don't socialize that much. So I drink a LOT of my beers. Husband is trying to lose weight so he will maybe have a few pints a week, and that's if I pour them and force them into his hand. I'm working on making smaller batches so I can brew more often, but with a rig that does best with 5-10g batches it's actually going to cost me some money to downscale. Because like many others here, the brewing is almost always more fun than the drinking. So I have turned to other hobbies to keep me busy; knitting, crocheting, sewing, and more recently getting my 25-year-old SUV back up and running for a semi-daily driver. My uncle out in Montana has been nudging me towards woodworking as well.

Our closest friends that we hang with either don't drink at all, or drink something other than beer. Then again, there's always that stigma that some people have that 'homebrewed beer is not good'. I've changed some minds there with a few of mine, but we just don't socialize that much. So I drink a LOT of my beers. Husband is trying to lose weight so he will maybe have a few pints a week, and that's if I pour them and force them into his hand. I'm working on making smaller batches so I can brew more often, but with a rig that does best with 5-10g batches it's actually going to cost me some money to downscale. Because like many others here, the brewing is almost always more fun than the drinking. So I have turned to other hobbies to keep me busy; knitting, crocheting, sewing, and more recently getting my 25-year-old SUV back up and running for a semi-daily driver. My uncle out in Montana has been nudging me towards woodworking as well.
If you're spending time on a 1998 it's gotta be something interesting. Toyota?

If you're spending time on a 1998 it's gotta be something interesting. Toyota?
Honda Passport. It's in truth an Isuzu Rodeo branded as a Honda. We bought it from a friend of ours whose dad owned it from new, it's sort of a sentimental thing to keep it. Runs great, just needs some minor maintenance. 193500 miles on the current (2nd) engine, the only major things we've had to do for it is replace the tranny and the starter. This weekend I get to dismantle the steering wheel to find out why the horn sticks. First time messing with an air bag assembly, yes I do know what I'm doing before someone gets concerned that I might blow it up.

Honda Passport. It's in truth an Isuzu Rodeo branded as a Honda. We bought it from a friend of ours whose dad owned it from new, it's sort of a sentimental thing to keep it. Runs great, just needs some minor maintenance. 193500 miles on the current (2nd) engine, the only major things we've had to do for it is replace the tranny and the starter. This weekend I get to dismantle the steering wheel to find out why the horn sticks. First time messing with an air bag assembly, yes I do know what I'm doing before someone gets concerned that I might blow it up.
Unplug the battery first. I've taken mine out and it always feels a little iffy.

dismantle the steering wheel to find out why the horn sticks
That brings back fond memories of panicked customers driving in their cars with the horn just blaring. You never saw people so freaked out in your life.

I've taken mine out and it always feels a little iffy
No kidding. It's always just a little like defusing a bomb. Not too bad, but just enough to make you feel alive.

My uncle out in Montana has been nudging me towards woodworking as well.
It's interesting to listen to Noah Bissell talk about life, hobbies, and craftsmanship on his podcast. It's called Graining In, if you're interested. Last I heard he was building a chess set. Cheers to a fulfilling life. Whatever that means :mug:

I brew every 2 months for 6 beers a year in 2.5 to 3.75 gallon batches. After transfer losses I end up bottling 2 to 3.5 gallons. I don't drink much but I love to create recipes and brew, so I give bottles away to friends and neighbors. Once they give me my bottles back, I give them the next beer.

I'm planning on a driveway party to share homebrew, too.

Unplug the battery first. I've taken mine out and it always feels a little iffy.
Yep had planned on that. And disconnecting it at least 30 minutes before I try taking it apart, read some horror stories about cars with capacitors big enough to hold a charge that would detonate the airbag.

Yep had planned on that. And disconnecting it at least 30 minutes before I try taking it apart, read some horror stories about cars with capacitors big enough to hold a charge that would detonate the airbag.
I knew a guy back in the day who spent a week in the hospital after an airbag went off in his face...

And a few more replies, I have actually distilled a batch of bad beer before, but instead of running in through a pot still for whiskey I ran it through the reflux still and made a vodka that eventually ended up as gin :)

Of course this I legal in NZ, so if you're furyhe afield, don't say I made you break the law!

Incidentally, I have tried to make whiskey before, but while I will stake my homebrew against commercial brews any day, I don't think my whiskey stacks up. There really is something about aging for many years that is just difficult to replicate in less time.

Figure out how much you want to drink and how often you want to brew. For example, if you want to brew every three weeks, and you drink one beer a day on average, you need about three gal packaged per batch.
My original post, although accurate, was somewhat flippant and your reply is much more thought out and professional than I deserve. Thank you.

And yes, you are exactly right, I currently try to have my blond ale and a Porter (now that we're heading for winter) on tap and then potentially have a third, more speciality that changes from time to time.

To really make this work I need more smaller kegs (2 5s) and bottle and share the balance. My kegerator will fit 3 x 2.5s, I still have to fit more taps. So like everything else this is a work in progress.

Thank you!

another small batch brewer here. I too brew 2.5 gallon batches using an Anvil Foundry 6.5 and keg in 2.5 gallon Torpedo kegs. That's about 20 pints and that lasts me about a month. Nice to come home and have. pint with dinner and with the small batches and monthly brewing I can mix things up and go back a tweak recipes. With 2.5 batches, I can use beer kits (and gift cards) I sometimes get as gifts from family and friends by simply dividing in half.

While I have a growler, and got rid of my bottling equipment years ago, I will likely get gear to bottle from my kegs to take beer with me, give away to just free up a keg.

Latest posts

Back