So, you are at a non-craft beer place... What do you order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone else see the irony of the OP having a picture of Negra Modelo as his avatar?

Ok so the Negra Modelo...
That is a picture I took in Costa Maya, they had Corona and Negra Modelo, which I had never tried prior to visiting Costa Maya. It wasn't horrible, but better than Corona. I also wanted it to take a picture for the "Beer as Art" Thread!

For a Chicago Fire soccer playoff game two years ago (conference finals), I waited too long to get tickets and the only seats available were on the 'Miller Lite Party Deck'. Only Lite and Highlife were available on the party deck, I drank them and had a great time.

Usually at the games, though, I will walk around the stadium to the one or two beer vendors who sell good beer. Oddly, since Chicago has five or six breweries, none of those local beers are available at the stadium. That annoys me. Drink fresh and local.

People really need to get over themselves and decide how much of this beer snobbery is just manufactured image pursuit. In the end it does nothing but hurt our hobby.

You my friend, have hit the nail on the head.

I'm not sure if the OP is a troll or was totally unaware that he came off as a super-pompous snob that absolutely deserves to get flamed.

Thanks for the BMC definition. For EAC, I have looked around and all I have found is that folks on the forum tell people to look for the meaning of EAC. As far as I can find, E stands for "Elitist", which if you tell someone to find it becuase they are new and not in the know MAKES you an Elitist. Might be fun to say "Look it up on your own" but it comes off as being a jerk, to be honest.

Elitist A**h**e C**t?

Lol at the elitist comment. The term is kept off the forum as fun and the term came from someone throwing an EPIC rage tantrum. It is like a right of passage. It should be super simple to find if you are a premium member since the thread is hidden behind the google wall!

I'm not sure if the OP is a troll or was totally unaware that he came off as a super-pompous snob that absolutely deserves to get flamed.

I admitted to being a beer snob, but really? I voice my opinion that there are beers I do not like and you think I deserve to get flamed??
Ok, so I guess I will just go to a place and spend money on beer that I don't like just because its beer.
I don't want to drink crap if I do not enjoy it, and I don't need alcohol to have a good time.
I just wanted to see if other Home brewers felt similar??

I voice my opinion that there are beers I do not like and you think I deserve to get flamed??

Yes.

Ok, so I guess I will just go to a place and spend money on beer that I don't like just because its beer. I don't want to drink crap if I do not enjoy it, and I don't need alcohol to have a good time.

Life is about choice and you are perfectly fine to do as please. But once you say that you are above certain beers, your tastebuds are "spoiled," that wine is "feminine" and that Sam Adams is tough to drink, you deserve to get flamed. You are pretty much saying that you look down on people who drink BMC, your tastebuds are superior to most and are more of a man than males who drink wine.

If you made all those choices at the bar and kept it to yourself, fine. But you dropped the holier-than-thou, pompous attitude on us...so put your flame-retardant suit on and head on over to BA.

Do you only ever eat the highest quality gourmet food? Do you only shop at Whole Foods and never reduce yourself to eating such bourgeois things as non free-range chicken wings made from locally sourced chili peppers and fresh whole cream butter?

People really need to get over themselves and decide how much of this beer snobbery is just manufactured image pursuit. In the end it does nothing but hurt our hobby.

qft

Tall_Yotie said:
And which is more "feminine": drinking a glass of wine, or being concerned about your waistline from what you are eating? :p

Pffff fff ffff!!! :D

As a homebrewer, are you somehow required to drink beer everywhere you go? Even if it's something you don't really like? If so, i'm f'ed... I don't drink beer with my meals usually. I don't even drink every night.... The horror! If there's something good, i'll get it, if not, i'll have water, tea, coke, etc...

I just generally avoid bars without "good" beers (in other words, beer I like!). If I don't like it, I won't drink it, mostly b/c the taste is not worth the calories.

On the plus side, I do like PBR which is fairly ubiquitous in these parts.

As a homebrewer, are you somehow required to drink beer everywhere you go? Even if it's something you don't really like?

Absolutely not. However, there is a difference between just doing that and doing it and then starting a thread bragging about how much of a snob you are.

um, PBR. Alotta 'bad beer' places have guinness or Newcastle, those aren't half bad on tap. Or, if there's really no beer available that I like, water with lemon is always refreshing. Beers beer, why bash one, just cuz YOU don't enjoy it doesn't mean others don't, otherwise it wouldn't be available for purchase.

You are pretty much saying that you look down on people who drink BMC, your tastebuds are superior to most and are more of a man than males who drink wine.

When did I say I look down on people who drink BMC??? Tell me, really? I said I don't like them.
Hmmm, don't remember ever saying that second part either, about my tastebuds being superior...didn't even imply it...
and if you read anything you would understand that I qualified the wine statement! I drink wine, I enjoy wine very much, I drank some outstanding wine for 4 years while stationed in Italy...but, like I said, I am in the military, was there this weekend about 10 minutes from where you live, watching a Phillies game after a hard day of duty in a BAR! The guys I was with would have considered wine as feminine in that circumstance.

I personally don't like the standards & practices of BMC, so I don't support them by drinking their beer. I really don't like the taste anyway. Usually, I'll opt for a water or diet since god knows I drink a lot more craft beer than I probably should...health-wise.

Most places have something by Sam Adams on tap, so I'll usually get one of those, worst case scenario. It at least has some flavor & I appreciate the program they put in place to grant loans to up-and-coming breweries that need a little help to start their business.

It at least has some flavor & I appreciate the program they put in place to grant loans to up-and-coming breweries that need a little help to start their business.

is there an article about this or some place I can read about it?

thanks for the bmc definition. For eac, i have looked around and all i have found is that folks on the forum tell people to look for the meaning of eac. As far as i can find, e stands for "elitist", which if you tell someone to find it becuase they are new and not in the know makes you an elitist. Might be fun to say "look it up on your own" but it comes off as being a jerk, to be honest.

Elitist a**h**e c**t?

+1

Some people like BMC, others don't, whether it's because of business practices or the taste of their beer. I drink it once in a blue moon, but generally dislike it for both of the above reasons. Which is why I usually don't go to BMC-only establishments.

This whole thread is ridiculous. Yes, Revvy comes across as abrasive sometimes with his bold italicized text and claiming to speak for the board as a whole from time to time, but he also gives good advice. Wine is not a feminine drink, no matter what our nation's finest think. There is nothing wrong with being a beer snob as long as you respect other people's preferences and don't brag, implying superiority. We all have our idio(t)syncracies, so we can either accept that, or just whip out the ruler...

I personally don't like the standards & practices of BMC, so I don't support them by drinking their beer.

I question if any of the people who think this way of BMC support Walmart, or Target, or KMart, or Wally World (which i have never heard of, I just see posting of this place on here), or McDonalds, or Burger King, or ANY of the Multi-national Corporations.

Ever eat a hamburger from Mickey D's??? If so you are partially responsible for the destruction of the rain forest in Brazil.

Every buy ANYTHING from Walmart or any of the stores like that??? If so, then can can be held responsible for the sh*tty living/working conditions of that little 8 year old girl in China that got paid squat for that cheap product you bought.

The "I don't support a beer company because of the practices" is trivial when you really step back and see what is happening to our planet....but I digress.

I drink nothing from BMC. I don't like any style of beer they make, so I don't buy or drink it.

If I'm at a place that doesn't offer craft beer or import non-lager beer, I'll drink water.

I drink nothing from BMC. I don't like any style of beer they make, so I don't buy or drink it.

If I'm at a place that doesn't offer craft beer or import non-lager beer, I'll drink water.

Anything? Really? Do you know how many beers AB InBev makes? Or Miller/Coors? That's a heluva lotta beer to turn up your nose at! I personally like alot of 'BMC' beers, goose island IPA and redhook pilsner are regulars in my fridge.

Anything? Really? Do you know how many beers AB InBev makes? Or Miller/Coors? That's a heluva lotta beer to turn up your nose at! I personally like alot of 'BMC' beers, goose island IPA and redhook pilsner are regulars in my fridge.

I like redhook ESB at Capitals games, but at $7 a beer I don't make a habbit of it!

Hmm im not sure that i dislike BMC lagers
I mean i dont like bud or miller light but thats about all i can get here

I often drink bland pilsner when i go out but thats all barly or erdinger for weisen

jarod7736 said:
As a homebrewer, are you somehow required to drink beer everywhere you go? Even if it's something you don't really like? If so, i'm f'ed... I don't drink beer with my meals usually.

I never drink anything with my meals for some reason, with the exception of root beer with pizza, and red wine with pasta. I think where this whole thread backfired, though, was that the OP was assuming that there was comradery to be found in bashing BMC. When actually, a lot of people on this forum either drink it, will drink it, tolerate it, or even have a nostalgic respect for breweries that employ many thousands of people and are a fundamental part of our economy.
I am, however, inspired by the fact that you don't drink beer every night. I think im going to try a dry week soon :drunk:

I question if any of the people who think this way of BMC support Walmart, or Target, or KMart, or Wally World (which i have never heard of, I just see posting of this place on here), or McDonalds, or Burger King, or ANY of the Multi-national Corporations.

Ever eat a hamburger from Mickey D's??? If so you are partially responsible for the destruction of the rain forest in Brazil.

Every buy ANYTHING from Walmart or any of the stores like that??? If so, then can can be held responsible for the sh*tty living/working conditions of that little 8 year old girl in China that got paid squat for that cheap product you bought.

The "I don't support a beer company because of the practices" is trivial when you really step back and see what is happening to our planet....but I digress.

If someone's intent is to support craft breweries (who BMC puts the screws to with their practices) buying a burger at McDonalds does not detract from that stance. Its not like being a vegan and it's perfectly fine for someone to choose their battles.

If someone's intent is to support craft breweries (who BMC puts the screws to with their practices) buying a burger at McDonalds does not detract from that stance. Its not like being a vegan and it's perfectly fine for someone to choose their battles.

I just don't get how BMC "screws craft breweries with their practices". Care to explain using a source OTHER than Beer Wars?

I guess there is no one posting texas in here, cause otherwise someone would have answered shiner.

In texas, if a bar has bud light, it has shiner, and I happen to like shiner quite a bit.

Back