So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked on my Madrugada Obscura clone I did yesterday. Chugging along nicely with the stepped up dregs from the bottle. The starter had that peppery spiciness that MO has. Took the lid off to let it open ferment for a few days, and will be top cropping (still undecided on if I want to do this or pitch on the cake - probably the cake route) to make another next week that will go on about 7 pounds of cherries for the wife. Can't wait to try this one out after a couple months on oak, then a few more months bottle conditioning.

Regardless of whether I use the top crop for the next batch or not, I will be top cropping for bottling.

Brewed 10 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen Friday night in 100 degree temps. Hot hot hot.

Chilled down to 85 degrees after the boil and then put my buckets in the chest freezer, taped the temp probe to the side of the bucket and set it to 66 degrees. I put my starters on top of the bucket lids and went to bed.

Got up on Saturday morning and the wort was at 66 degrees as was my starters. I injected some O2 in the fermenters and added my starters and dropped the lids.

This morning, the Hefe's are happily fermenting away. It was worth brewing in this heat to get some cold refreshing Hefe on tap.

I'll use this chilling method again and again till ambient temps and ground water temps cool off.

Wanted to update everyone that the fermentation of the Kolsch is done and I'm cold crashing 5 days before bottling. It looks and smells amazing!

What's the best American IPA extract kit out there? I wanna add some citrus (orange) to it and see if I can duplicate sweetwater 420. Any ideas?

Brewed a Tripel similar to Westmalle yesterday, with Wyeast 3787 high gravity trappist yeast. Made a 5g starter beer, that was a similar grain/hop bill, but was only 1.045. Pitched on top of the starter cake and it was going nuts within a few hours. Hit 1.062 on the Tripel, and am going to add 2.5lbs of sugar once fermentation slows down, to bring it up to roughly 1.082.

While we brewed, we drank several Tripels, including a Westmalle, St Bernardus, Rochefort, and Schlafly's Smokestack Tripel. Westmalle was the best, with Schlafly being my 2nd favorite. I've had Schlafly's Smokestack Quad and Saison also and they are all really good!

Won't be brewing this weekend. However, should finally have the money to place an order to get some more ingredients and hopefully brew the following weekend (double header porter/apa!) :-D

10 hours after making the starter for the hefeweizen.

image-792132914.jpg

Kegging 10 gallons of Bavarian Hefeweizen tomorrow and brewing 15 gallons of BCB Kolsch this weekend. Gotta get some yeast cakes going for my Oktoberfest Ale.

Hopefully brewing an imperial honey wheat on Saturday, and an IPA Sunday. Ipa may not happen though.

I'm going to be brewing a Centennial Blonde this weekend. Hope to have it kegged in 2 weeks and carbonated by the first weekend of August.

I'm brewing a Three Floyds Zombie Dust APA/IPA on Sat or Sunday. I haven't brewed since November.....ready to get back to it!!!!

I need to get on that yeast starter ASAP....

Since the belgian wit is now sitting in my 78 degree basement freeing up a spot in the ferm chamber, I'll be making a simcoe and amaraillo pale ale this weekend to have for my week at the lake at the end of August (if I can keep my hands off it that long).

I'm doing 5gal Orfy's Boddington Bitter clone this weekend. I just got my first order of bulk grain (27lb cdn2-row, 27lb MO) and I'll be trying out my buddy's home-made mill for the first time.

i just bottled my beer three weeks ago. im headed home tonight after work to try it. my first trial was a week or 2 into it and it seemed a little flat. im hoping this extra week and 48hr. in the fridge helps. i just dont want to drink 5gal of beer that taste semi flat
: (

This Saturday will be the 2 week mark for my IPA,so I'll be taking my 1st FG test & sample. If it checks out from Sat morning to Monday morning,dry hop is on.

Fed my tripel 1lb of sugar last night...full blow off again within an hour. Will feed another 1.5lb tonight. After a 90 min mash at 148 I'm hoping this comes out bone dry for my 1st tripel.

Starting a Rosemary-Simcoe Xtra Pale Ale in about 5 minutes. Been looking forward to trying this out for about 6 months now!

Will be brewing a strong american brown ale, and brewing a porter from the second runnings plus a few extra lbs of grain.

julianlovesbeer said:
i just bottled my beer three weeks ago. im headed home tonight after work to try it. my first trial was a week or 2 into it and it seemed a little flat. im hoping this extra week and 48hr. in the fridge helps. i just dont want to drink 5gal of beer that taste semi flat
: (

Beer in the fridge won't carbonate, it needs to be room temp.

Doing the fifth incarnation of a Maris Otter lawnmower recipe that I've been tinkering with all year. It's thiiiis close to being a perfect recipe.

Beer in the fridge won't carbonate, it needs to be room temp.

The beer's been carbonating for three weeks. The 48 hrs in the fridge isn't an attempt at further carbonating the beer, it's to let the CO2 dissolve into solution properly. A week would be better.

AHS Greenbelt Pale Ale. It will be the second time I've brewed it, in fact, the first time I've even brewed something for the second time (other than graff). Its by far been my favorite beer I've brewed.

Back