German Pils Mosaic Pilsner SMaSH Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
SafLager West European Lager (S-23)
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
2.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 53'F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 67'F
Additional Fermentation
14 days @ 33'F
Tasting Notes
Lots of fruit on the nose thanks to the Mosaic which turns into a classic lager flavor that lingers after you take a sip.
I had a bunch of Mosaic pellets in the freezer and I was really enjoying the Maibock that I had on tap. I still had a packet of S-23 in the fridge that had expired 2 years prior to brewing and thought what better way to use that yeast than to make a Mosaic Pilsner SMaSH!

Lager purists might want to skip this paragraph. No, I did not make a starter. Yes, the yeast was 2 years expired. Yes, I just directly pitched one packet directly into the wort when it reached 53'F. No, i did not aerate with O2. Yes, fermentation was just fine and I hit an FG of 1.006.

I went with a smaller batch on this brew because, thanks to all the lockdowns, my wife and I were drinking a hell of a lot of beer since we weren't having our normal parties where we'd readily kick kegs. Smaller batches make it easier to keep my brewing going without feeling like I'm forcing myself to drink.

The beer itself is amazing. I'm definitely going to brew similar beers again and experiment with different single hops or maybe use a NEIPA style hopping profile. I wasn't going for IPL kick-you-in-the-teeth amounts of hop character and think I found a nice balance. You can definitely tell it's a lager with the characteristic lager yeast phenolics but the mosaic really hits you when you put the glass to your nose.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.90 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.65 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 2.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 79.3 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume     
3.50 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -          
1.00 tsp         Phosphoric Acid 10% (Mash)                       Water Agent   2          -             -          
5 lbs 8.0 oz     CHÂTEAU PILSEN 2RS (1.5 SRM)                     Grain         3          100.0 %       0.43 gal   
0.35 oz          Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          26.9 IBUs     -          
3.50 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil)                  Water Agent   5          -             -          
0.25 tsp         Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)                      Fining        6          -             -          
0.50 tsp         Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)                  Other         7          -             -          
1.00 oz          Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  10 Hop           8          3.1 IBUs      -          
1.0 pkg          SafLager West European Lager (DCL/Fermentis #S-2 Yeast         9          -             -          
0.25 tsp         Gelatin (Secondary 7.0 days)                     Fining        10         -             -          
2.00 oz          Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days    Hop           11         0.0 IBUs      -

Code:
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name              Description                             Step Temperat Step Time  
Mash In           Add 8.88 qt of water at 158.1 F         149.0 F       60 min     

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.64gal, 3.20gal) of 168.0 F water

Fermentation schedule based off the Brulosophy lager method: Lager Method

FERMENTATION SCHEDULE:
— Leave at 53’F until fermentation is 50% (1.025) complete… 4-7 days?
— Take probe off carboy and leave wrapped in towel in chamber. Bump up chamber temp 5’F every 12 hours until it gets to 65-68’F
— Leave at this temp until fermentation is finished (4-10 more days)
— Start ramping chamber temp down 5-8’F every 12 hours until chamber is 30-32’F
— When beer is ~50’F, add gelatin (The Gelatin Effect | exBEERiment Results!)
— 1/2 tsp Knox Unflavored Gelatin with 1/4 cup cool water then microwaving it in short (7 second) bursts until it reached 145-150°F
— Leave at this temp for 3-5 days to clear.
— xfer to keg! can start drinking as soon as 3 days after kegging

The beer is crystal clear, even though it's a little hard to tell in the photo below. The glass got a little foggy due to condensation.
orrUfoO.jpg

Beautiful beer! Recipe sounds delicious as well! Reminds me that I didn't hit two of my brand new kegs with gelatin...I use the same process as you! They are wheat beers so they don't necessarily have to be clear but hey are pretty to look at when cleared up.

Thanks! I don't normally gelatin fine my beers but I've found I like to have my lagers really clear so I've started fining them.

Your post made me realize I haven't brewed a wheat beer in a while. I'll have to add one into my rotation!

Cheers :mug:

Thanks! I don't normally gelatin fine my beers but I've found I like to have my lagers really clear so I've started fining them.

Your post made me realize I haven't brewed a wheat beer in a while. I'll have to add one into my rotation!

Cheers :mug:

Gotta have a wheat beer on tap...good low IBU gateway beer for the macro drinkers

Latest posts

Back