So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my yeast spinning for a British Porter Saturday. Splitting a 10 gallon batch with my buddy.

PXL_20220218_025739970.PORTRAIT.jpg

Got a pre prohibition lager in today. Great brew day except my old chest freezer fermentation chamber crapped out, so I’m trying to regulate temps with pitchers full of ice. Maybe the boss will let me upgrade to a few temp control conicals!🤞

Got a pre prohibition lager in today. Great brew day except my old chest freezer fermentation chamber crapped out, so I’m trying to regulate temps with pitchers full of ice. Maybe the boss will let me upgrade to a few temp control conicals!🤞
Let me know if you’d like me to write a note saying that you get to upgrade. Can’t hurt, right? 🤣 Hopefully you’re able to get it squared away soon!

Got a warning light on my empty bottle storage rack, thus it's time to put another batch in the fermenter. So we're going a bit German for this one, with about 10 lbs of 2-row, a pound each of Cara-pils and Vienna, an ounce of Northern Brewer up front and an ounce of Saaz at the finish, all wrapped around a packet of Dusseldorfer Alt.

I expect to boil 9 gallons of water and grind the grains to just slightly larger than flour, then mash in a bag; ferment for 3 weeks, and bottle age for at least 3 weeks. Should hit 1.055 OG, looking for about 1.018 FG, for 5.1% ABV, 26 IBUs, and color around 6.1 SRM.

We'll see how it goes.

UPDATE: FG was 1.056, so conversion was slightly better than expected. Color's good, smell's good, kreusen's gone at the 4 day point and there's a nice layer of compacted trub and yeast on the bottom. Right at 6 gallons made it into the fermenter.

I only used 8 gallons of water (5 spring, 3 distilled), but that's still more than the calculator called for (6.2 gals).

Last edited:
Got the 1971 Boddington's recipe brewed did it Friday afternoon as it's supposed to storm all weekend. Expected OG was 1.036 and the beer came in at 1.038 no complaints here.

My tilt initially gave a reading of 1.030 so I took a sample and took a hydro reading and added a calibration point. For a moment I was concerned because everything went so well.

It's in the fermenter and off to the races.

PXL_20220305_072749298.MP.jpg

PXL_20220305_072936573.jpg

Trying to get caught up
10 Saison
10 IIPA

The mill misbehaved, a total PITA brew day. I had a lot of problems, mashed in too low on both had to pull the liquid and heat it then add it back in the the mash several times, so I guess it was a step mash. All in the fermentation chamber in the kegmenters.

Trying to get caught up
10 Saison
10 IIPA

The mill misbehaved, a total PITA brew day. I had a lot of problems, mashed in too low on both had to pull the liquid and heat it then add it back in the the mash several times, so I guess it was a step mash. All in the fermentation chamber in the kegmenters.

Well both beers are happily fermenting away the kegmenters at 25psi.

Brewing up a Festbier this coming weekend to lager until Fall. Will be first time using liquid calcium chloride for mineral additions, just whipped up a jug of it yesterday. Since the normal pellet kind can absorb water, when weighing out for additions, you can have less actual calcium chloride than you think because of all the water. This liquid method will allow accurate additions.

Mashed a Imperial red ale yesterday, did the boil today.
I have 23 liters at 1.082, should end up around 9%.
This was based on the Northern Brewing Megalodon recipe. Last fall I made a batch following the recipe exactly, and it was quite good. This time I swapped out the 2-row for Maris otter, and then swapped the hops for my own (Centennial->Nugget, Cascade->Chinook).
Hit my target preboil and post boil gravities exactly.

Back