So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My grandfather used to have several Tennessee walking horses. He would train and show them. Two of his favorites were Dynamite and his son Dynamo, both award winners.

To honor my grandfather, who doesn't have much time left, I’m naming this porter Dynamo. I think it’s going to turn out to be about the same color as Dynamo the horse

PXL_20220130_163936160.jpg
PXL_20220130_174427724.jpg
PXL_20220130_200648714.jpg

Ive been good at doing a brew a week, it was a honey, then lager, then this week a kolsch. Next week a weinsteph dunkel clone, then back to the hefe.

Adding 5 gallons of the triple hop miller lite clone from the recipes here as well as 5 gallons of a guava pale ale to the 30 gallons already fermenting away here on Saturday. The 10 gallons are for a friend getting a knee replacement and his last brews until he recovers.

Brewing a Cold Smoke style Scottish Ale right now.

I've been reading up on Scotch ale, getting ready to jump in after I drive to AIH this weekend for a sack of MO and a smaller bag of GP. I have some smoked 2-row and now I am tempted to go "off script". Looking forward to trying them after the summer solstice. Cheers!

This weekend, however, I am brewing up a wheat IPA for Paddys day! (stouts are already conditioning) :bigmug:

Going to brew up a Mosaic Smash tomorrow; was going to mill grain tonight, but I'm going to try conditioning the grain prior to milling thanks to a suggestion here to reduce the flour stuck to the hop bag, so I'll just mill in the morning. More time for drinking tonight....

Stopped by my sister's house yesterday to try the mead she made, from old crunchy honey my mother had on hand. It turned out incredibly well for her first try; being a competitive sort, it's time for me to try it. Heading to the store in a while for the honey and some oranges; I've got blackberries and raisins on hand, and yeast, and a big old German growler (500cl) that will do just fine as a fermenting vessel. Looking forward to this.

Murphy's law brew day yesterday. I got a late start but figured I'd be able to brew and chill before my 11am dentist appointment. As I'm putting the chiller in I notice the lactic acid bottle... oops, forgot to add it to the mash. Chill down to 80ish and head off to the dentist. Get there, the office is locked up like a drum. Check my confirmation text... my appointment is next week. Head home to finish up brew day. My four fermentors are full but two have 3+ week beer in them so I'll keg those and move on. Kegged the IPA. Moved onto the Belgian amber... it stalled at .016, not the expected .006. Crap, now what? 12 gallons wort and only one empty bucket fermentor. Fortunately, unlike many of you, I have a lhbs less than 10 miles away. But still I had to drive there and buy another bucket that, except for yesterday, I didn't need.
Oh well, when all was said and done, I had made beer! Had a couple Golden Monkey's to celebrate!

Mashing a brown porter now. Kegged my Schwarzbier earlier to free up the fermenter. Wasn't paying attention and over filled the keg. Hooked it up to the gas and watched beer spray into the gas line. Frantically shut that line off at the regulator and disconnected the whole line before the beer could get inside the reg. Hopefully the rest of the day settles down...

I'm brewing a bitter that I hope to be serving cask style in a couple of weeks. ABV should end up right at 3.6%. If my wife is feeling agreeable I think I'm going to try to double up today and brew an Oktoberfest today as well. I like the idea of brewing a beer to drink fresh and one to age until fall.

Excited to brew this weekend! My wife has had to help with my last couple of brews as medical issues have kept me from being able to do a number of steps, but this week she expressed interest in taking part in the full brewday. We'll be brewing up an Irish dry stout. Looking forward to it!

your mash tun wears cloths?

i am so going to put a tee and jacket on my mashtun next brew day for the photo op!
I’m doing BIAB in my garage where it’s about 40°. My aluminum kettle needs a little insulation. My SIL gave me the coat; he got it from his job (Has the Edwards Jet Center logo embroidered on it). It was too big for him so he gave it to me. It’s a little snug on me but it just fits around my kettle.

Got the strike on for a short & shoddy lager brewday before we take off for a short weekend trip to Portland. This time didn't condition the grain because lazy, but I DID sift most of the flour out of it with a sieve, to see what happens. Might kill my efficiency but I'm tired of the flour.

I brewed an Old Rasputin clone called Old Bearded Stout. It’s an extract kit from MoreBeer.com. I can’t wait to try it. I used the JaDeD Mantis immersion chiller and cooled 4 gallons of wort in under 8 minutes. That was my first time using that wort chiller; what a game changer! Brew day was a breeze! Cheers!
1644669514482.jpeg

1644669558722.jpeg

I brewed an Oktoberfest that I am planning to keep until this fall but we'll see... I used all Great Western malts because I really want to captute the terroire of my home state while imitating a German style.
I did f*** up though calculating my hops addition with a spreadsheet I created. I targeted 20 ibus with 6.5% Glacier hops and got .75 oz. After I had dumped them in I realized my batch size was set to 5 gallons and here I am brewing 2.5. There's really no way to fix overhopping except aging and like I said, I'm going to save this batch for the fall so we'll see how it goes. When I licked my refractometer after getting og it didn't taste very bitter so I have high hopes

Tomorrow I'm finally going to give Omega Lutra a try, on a simple blonde ale/kolsch/pilsner thing with some Saaz thrown in. I have both the liquid and dry version, but since the liquid took 2 weeks to get here from Amazon (yah I'm kinda dumb that way sometimes) I'll use the dry. Interested to see what all the hype is; I've used several kveik yeasts but not one that is supposed to be good for lager-like beers. Will be fun, anyway!

Back