So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Knocked off a Scottish 70 based on Jamils recipe on Saturday. First time grinding my own grains with a converted clay roller, Worked well and manage about 70% effeciency.

I brewed what should have been a Strong Ale on Saturday, but with a disappointing OG of 1.050 I think its going to not be so strong. The target was 1.065, it was a partial mash and the only thing I can think of was that I didn't get enough sugar from the partial mash.
This is what happens when you take 10 months off of brewing.

Brewed my first 10g batch yesterday ... oh my, I don't think I'm ever going back to 5g ... also, I believe I'll start doing back to back 10g batches since the extra time for the second batch ( maybe an extra 1.5 hours ) is pretty negligible

I brewed up Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale yesterday and a starter (using WLP007) for the Robust Porter I will be brewing tonight.

will be brewing another wit tomorrow. been using dry yeasts for years, but started harvesting yeast a while back. was given a wlp400 a few days ago; using it tomorrow

Brewing my Caffrey's Irish Cream Ale Friday night. Then I have a Lemongrass Wheat and BM's Centennial Blonde on deck. But will probably save those until Labor Day weekend.

I'm thinking i might try a westlevern 12 clone this weekend i also have 10 gallons of beer to bottle 5 saison and 5 of a Chimay white clone

gonna do the wit saturday instead. the wlp400 was dead

On Deck: belgian wit / nut brown
Primary:11g ipa
Secondary: hefeweizen
Kegged/Bottled: oatmeal stout/dunkelweizen/oktoberfest/st arnolds # 7/blueberry hefeweizen/belgian doppelbock/edworts appelwein/hard lemonade/wee porter/vanilla porter/oktoberfest maerzen

Brewing Pliny again Sunday, after partying all night at my friends wedding the night before. It's going to be really rough. I hate getting all sweaty when I'm really hungover.

I want to get a another kolsch done this weekend. I have another kolsch that is going on 1 month in primary and I want to use the yeast cake for this one, but it's swmbo's birthday Saturday and I doubt she's gonna want me brewing on her birthday. This could get tricky.

Trying a Belgian-ish stout-ish sort of thing...looking forward to seeing how it turns out. And then a trip to the LHBS on Sunday; I figure I should come home with 52 lb of grain and 6 oz of hops. I think they'll be happy to see me.

I'm brewing a 2.5g batch of IPA right now. Using a mix of extra hops: Chinook @ 60, Centennial @ 20, Saaz @ 5, and Hallertauer @ 5.
6# 2-row
1# crystal 20L
.5# carapils
US-05
Should be pretty good.

Me Me Me!

I recently acquired a new (to me) fridge and a couple 15 gallon HDPE drums. I've been waiting on a gifted temp controller to fire up the brewhouse again. Just got the call to pick up the temp controller. Stopping by the LHBS on the way.

10 gallons of Simcoe IPA on Sunday. Unfortunately, my brew buddy is out of town. This will be my first solo flight since I was doing extracts.

My helper is stirring the first runnings, even though they don't need to be stirred.

4934788321_400eeed6ea_z.jpg

Just finished doing a Pale Ale for a club event ( MoB pail ale ) using all Willamette
at 60, 10 and 0 for a total of 30 IBU's. Brewing the same recipie will show the differences in all our procedures and equipment.
Long day, got in 18 holes before I started brewing.

Do you mash 1g batches, or do you mash 5g and split it? Do you then boil a few 1g batches and follow different hop schedules?

I'm going to cheat and do 1 gallon extract batches. I tried mashing a 2g batch all grain last time I did this, and I don't think it was mixed well enough, so the batch with the known hops tasted like moldy water. The mystery hop batch was delicious though :)

four gallons of graff (thanks to Brandon o) and another 2.5 gallons of Hefe. all in all a great b-day brew session.

You brewed all this today? Looong day! :rockin:

Actually it wasn't all that long. Had the 2 ag batches going last night and let them mash overnight in the coolers, then did the sparge/boil today. While I was sparging those 2, I did the burnt mead, which only took about a 1/2 hour to do, seeing as I only boiled the honey for about 15 minutes (my first burnt mead - can always up it next time). All in all, about 7 hours total, tops.

Got a 30L apple cider underway, looks good so far, can't wait for those first airlock bubbles!

Back