So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today was an ESB with willamette and tettnang hops. A nice 10 gallon batch good for splitting with my brew buddy.

Currently halfway through the boil on JZ's Reprobate Stout from Brewing Classic Styles. The first runnings looked like motor oil. Yummy. This will also be my first batch that I keg. Woohoo!

No brewing next weekend, but I am going to be picking up my 155# base grain order and will be adding 10 more 8# bags of specialty grain, to it while Im there.

Muhahahaahhahaahaa, milling, mashing, boiling, fermenting oh my Muhahahhhahaa!

I was supposed to do two batches yesterday, but with the wind I thought monitoring temp, etc will be hard enough with just one. The second batch is going to be similar to a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. My oak chips have been soaking in Markers Mark for a week so far, so I will need to brew this soon.

sweed said:
Don't tell the gubbamint! I think you're only allowed 100 gallons/year? Ah, screw em!

100 gal, per adult over 21, per household, up to 200 gallons a year. Do you still have all 108 gallons? I doubt it, therefore it can't be proven. ;)

I brewed my first Partial Mash today. I'm going to say right now it didn't go great but not bad.

My temp in the cooler dropped to about 149F but I brought it back up with warm water then I got a stuck sparge because there was a rip in the bag. After that everything went as normal. I did not measure the gravity after the sparge which was a mistake on my part.

My major problem was that I had a lot of trub. I have never used hop bags before but I think I will definitely use them now. I did a 4.5 gallon boil, lost a lot to evaporation (its 30F outside) and only ended up putting a little over 2.5 gallons in the fermenter. Then I topped off with water, and pitched the yeast without taking the gravity. When I took the OG, it was pretty low. 1.030 for the following recipe:

Expected OG - 1.053 Measured - 1.031 - maybe I will measure later tonight too see
5 lbs 2 Row
2 lbs Maris Otter
.5 Caramel/Crystal 60
1.5 lbs DME

.50 Centennial @ 60
.50 Centennial @ 45
.50 Cascade @ 30
.50 Cascade @ 15
.50 Cascade @5
1.00 Fuggles @1

California Ale Yeast

I already have a few reasons as to why there is such a low gravity:
1. Poor mashing temp
2. Added too much water to fermenter

Either way the wort tasted pretty good, strong bitter finish which I am sure will become better with time, but it just might not be very alcoholic.

Should I try to increase the alcohol content? If so, how can that be done.

"Happy brewing day!" What my daughter said while adding the specialty grain for our altbier kit.

image-1398446863.jpg

Getting a 2565 starter ready for EdWort's Bee Cave Kolsch which I'll make Saturday or Sunday.

Heating up strike water for EdWorts Kolsch. Plan to drink this at our annual Mardi Gras Party!! Man, I love brew day!

tdogg said:
Brewing a Hopstache Black IPA right now!

Just curious, which grain will you use to make this black? I used midnight wheat in a hefeweizen and it was okay, although I swear that it tasted kind of toasty.

Target date Sat., Jan 5th, for Midwest Supplies Wurtzberger Maibock extract kit. 1.065 OG, 7L starter is made from WPL830 and dropping out in the fridge. Auber temp controller arrived today, got it wired up, and fermentation/lagering chamber is getting dialed in.

Just curious, which grain will you use to make this black? I used midnight wheat in a hefeweizen and it was okay, although I swear that it tasted kind of toasty.

I'm not tdogg, but I used debittered black, my lhbs doesn't have carafa III, so we decided on this one. Looks pretty dark to me!

I'm most likely going to be brewing a Barley Wine. Never done something with such a high ABV. It should be a pretty good learning experience.

I took a much needed vacation day today and plan on making a Roggenbier. It is pretty close to Jamil's recipe. I am feeling adventurous so I will attempt my first ever triple decoction.

I am also going to try out a pseudo recirculating copper chiller. I acquired a small sump, so I will pump ice water through the chiller and see how quickly that will work...should save a ton of water too....

I will be brewing a Belgian Dubbel this weekend, pretty close to Jamil's recipe but I'm using pure unpasteurized honey in place of candy sugar.
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.014

Thanks mcbaumannerb for reminding me I need to make my starter! :eek:

This was my one day to brew over break so I made 3 batches. I made an american wheat 1.042, a european pilsner 1.052 and a belgian saison 1.052.

It was a long but awesome day!

Want to do my Mosaic pale thus weekend time permitting, got two beers to bottle as well so it'll be a time crunch for sure.

Back