So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting up at 5am inn the fourth of July to brew a American wheat. Out of brewing classic styles! Trying a starter for the first time! Can't wait.

Getting up at 5am inn the fourth of July to brew a American wheat. Out of brewing classic styles! Trying a starter for the first time! Can't wait.

Timmy - If you are making a starter, make sure you use a blowoff tube when you put it in the fermenter. the first time I made a starter and pitched it into my beer, I had a blow-off and a mess. Ever since then, I ALWAYS use a blow-off tube....

Those guys get REALLY active after a starter.

JonGrafto said:
Timmy - If you are making a starter, make sure you use a blowoff tube when you put it in the fermenter. the first time I made a starter and pitched it into my beer, I had a blow-off and a mess. Ever since then, I ALWAYS use a blow-off tube....

Those guys get REALLY active after a starter.

Awesome advice. Yea anymore all I use is blow off tubes. I was getting great ferments without a starter. Just trying to figure out a good d.m.e. to water ratio, seems like everyone has a different opinion about it.

timmy7649 said:
Awesome advice. Yea anymore all I use is blow off tubes. I was getting great ferments without a starter. Just trying to figure out a good d.m.e. to water ratio, seems like everyone has a different opinion about it.

I've been using 100 grams of dme to 1 liter of water. Seems to work just fine.

Brewing my kolsch on the 4th. I'll also be gearing up to brew it with the abbey beverage co for our gabf pro-am entry. Piety exciting to be making a beer for commercial availability,

Finished up my house amber about an hour ago, woke up at 3.30 and laid in bed till 4.45 trying to go back to sleep, said f it I might as well make beer.

I would take a look at yeastcalc http://yeastcalc.com/
They have a calculator that will tell you what your starter gravity will be and how much DME to use.

pm5k00 said:
Finished up my house amber about an hour ago, woke up at 3.30 and laid in bed till 4.45 trying to go back to sleep, said f it I might as well make beer.

I was up at 5 thought about bottling but then rolled over and fell back asleep

Bottling my high octane ginger beer as we speak. Enjoying a Cascade Red Ale off of the keg. If this batch was not for a friend I would be kegging it. Getting ready for a highly hopped bitter and a lawn mower lager tonight. I hope the wife can keep the kids amused long enough?

Planning on doing the How Rye I AM Sasion from here in a couple of hours if the storms look like they are going to miss me. Not looking real good right now though

Spitting rain on and off enough to make it to big of a hassle to brew tonight. Guess I can't complain as dry as it has been, but since it is supposed to be raining for several days it could have held off a few hours

MaddBaggins Pale Ale shall be brewed tomorrow. WLP051 starter is going off right now. Fermentation room is complete. Mrs Baggins is happy there will be no more buckets in the house. Women :rolleyes:

Wasn't planning on it, but this afternoon my neighbor came over with a Midwest Ferocious kit that he'd won in a raffle over the weekend. Say's he wants to learn how to brew. I figure that's as good an excuse to brew as any other. We're gonna whip it up on Thursday. :rockin:

Wasn't planning on it, but this afternoon my neighbor came over with a Midwest Ferocious kit that he'd won in a raffle over the weekend. Say's he wants to learn how to brew. I figure that's as good an excuse to brew as any other. We're gonna whip it up on Thursday. :rockin:

That's a great raffle score!

I'm getting ready to heat up strike water for an overnight mash...

Right!!! Lucky guy... lucky me too, I get half a batch of a Furious clone for free for showing him how to brew, doesn't get much easier.

And an overnight mash? Interesting.... whatcha making?

Can't beat free beer!

Yeah I decided on an overnight mash, because I want to free up the second half of the day tomorrow. I'm making a typical stout, but I'm experimenting by doing the overnight mash and also by cold steeping all of the dark grains instead of adding them into the mash. The cold steep is supposed to give me a very smooth, dark liquor without the astringent flavors that commonly come from dark grain. I'll add the dark liquor to the boil. As far as overnight mashing, I've done a 2 gallon overnight mash before that worked out great. This will be my first time doing it with 6 gallons..

Brewing my 3rd batch tomorrow - trying a Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout clone recipe. Couldn't wait to get my previous batch out of the primary so I had to get another primary! Seems I'm getting really hooked on this :D Can't wait to move to using AG very soon.

Brew will commence in about 1 hour! My 3rd one, the simple hefe with an extra lb of fermentables.

Summer Rye Ale from AHS. Hopefully last extract brew for a while. Planning on going AG via BIAB for pumpkin ale next month. Also will be bottling the Paragon Apricot Blonde from NB this weekend. Two weeks in secondary and it smells awesome!
Susie

Made 11 gallons of English Mild yesterday. Yeasties are doing their thing......

10 batches in the last six weeks... One more to go before I head out on vacation next week. My Saison keg is getting low, so I think I'm doing 10 more gallons.

Can't. Stop. Drinking. The. Saison....

Another batch this Sunday. One last Sunday and then in two weeks a batch of Chocolate Thunder! My Chocolate that I am attempting to perfect.
Takes forever to ferment though.

Brewed NB's Dead Ringer today. Brewing my own recipe for a hoppy Belgian Dark Strong Ale in the next few days.

Just made a starter for Saturday brewday: 5 gallons of an ordinary bitter with a bunch of rye malt, 5 gallons of strawberry banana blonde, and 1 gallon of mixed berry cider. I need some summer quaffers... it's starting to get warm! :mug:

Not brewing but making Belgian candi syrup for my next brew, my first attempt at a dark strong ale.

Back