So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A new week which means I will be brewing this weekend! Racking RIS to 2ndary, and then Sunday brewing up the Simple Hefe's recipe on here. I can't wait to try my RIS after 4 weeks of fermenting! Oak chips, vanilla, and bourbon go into the 2ndary for 2 weeks :D

Just got the nod to brew Saturday. Brewing a mild because both kegs are about to kick and I need a reserve.

Brewery improvements since the last brew:
1. Relocated wort and HLT pumps for easier access to output valves.
2. Relocated CFC for better hose management and...wait for it...
3. Inline O2 stone/cast thermometer, fed with aviator's grade oxygen.

Process changes to be tried on this brew:
1. Use kettle and HLT pump to achieve better mash out temp (RIMS). Expecting to thin the mash by one gallon to ensure said pump is properly primed and I have a buffer.
2. Oxygenation of wort during cast at a rate of 2 liters per minute for one minute, halfway through the cast.
3. Brewing during daylight hours! I work 3rd shift and I have kids, so I am a night owl. Hope to start early because Sat will be hot!
4. Do a mock second brew to establish the timeline for a double brew day. (When is a good time to mash in #2 and avoid a conflict with equipment?)

Nosferatu Clone IAA and Sierra Nevada Pale

Duckredbeard, i've found that mashing in right when i kill the boil on batch #1 works out best. By the time I transfer the 1st to primary and get the kettle clean it's been about 45 minutes and i've got a little time to spare.

Improvements this brew;
1. New cold water chiller in front of my ice chiller.
2. Inline thermalcouple for measuring chilled wort.
3. New fermentation chest for all 4 primaries.

this weekend, i need to:
- make a starter for my 3787 (done)
- bottle my belgian blond
- rack chocolate oatmeal stout to smaller carboy (formerly occupied by the blond)
- brew a tripel, ferment in larger carboy (formerly occupied by the stout)
- ask myself why i don't have more than 2 carboys.

sweetcell said:
this weekend, i need to:
- make a starter for my 3787 (done)
- bottle my belgian blond
- rack chocolate oatmeal stout to smaller carboy (formerly occupied by the blond)
- brew a tripel, ferment in larger carboy (formerly occupied by the stout)
- ask myself why i don't have more than 2 carboys.

Sounds kinda like my Weekend:
-Gotta bottle a Belgian blonde from my car boy
-Rack a mirror pond clone into the cleaned carboy From its corny keg primary
-Make a starter of 1056 from a pale ale
-Keg an amber ale into the former MP primary
-And brew a black IPA
-only got one carboy ... Tough

Planning on brewing ten gallons of my German pilsner but going to ferment it with American ale blend ( wlp061 I think) so I guesss that makes it more of a blonde

Planning on my first double brew day... A Lakefront Brewey Wisconsinite Clone (with harvested yeast from the bottle dregs) and a Gumballhead inspired Wheat IPA.

Not sure what to expect for a double day and one that is supposed to be VERY HOT!!!! (for Wisconsin at least).. Wish me luck!

Saturday: Rack RIS to 2ndary on top of oak chips, vanilla, and bourbon. Taste a sample! Make starter for Sunday's Hefe.

Questions for those who can help: For my RIS, I wanted to 2ndary for about 3 months, but I am racking on oak chips, vanilla beans soaking in bourbon. I have the vanilla beans soaking in bourbon now; I cut and scraped them. IF, I do this, I would only be able to 2ndary for 2 weeks, since the oak chips will give off flavors faster than cubes. Is there any problem to racknig to my 2ndary and then 1 month- 2 months later, add in my chips, vanilla, and bourbon? There isn't concern with my vanilla soaking that long in the bourbon I presume. Thanks

Racking a half batch of cream ale over some freshly picked raspberries. I'll puree the raspberries first.
The other half will be just good ol cream ale.

Sunday will be a "Speckled Heifer" partial mash from NB.

It's going to be 90°F so I'll be sure to hydrate while I'm slaving away over the brewing process.

Done! Brewed a mild. Needed to get something going that could be on soon. Water temps in Atlanta only let me get down to 82. Tis wrapped in wet towels in the 73F basement. Pitching in the am.

Now I can relax and not be outside in 90+ temps!

brewing a black ipa. it's hot enough i figure i don't even need to heat up my strike water...just put it out in the sun and it'll be 168 in no time. :)

I bottled my 'caribou slobber' today, then transferred a honey wheat and a Belgian blonde to secondary. Making plans for a Marzen. I need a deep freeze!

Doing a lawnmower lager easy drinking hot weather session beer and testing my Cascade Red Ale of of the keg. First batch I have legged very excited!

my AG setup is taking wayy too long to finish building(read: things keep delaying the completion of my burner stand) so i think i may have to do a couple of extract batches over the next couple weekends.

probably going to do a shandy on sunday (does 3/5 wheat beer @8% blended with 2/5 homemade lemonade sound good?)

then next weekend i plan on brewing up an IIPA using the same hops as my IPA just extra everything.

hopefully the burner stand will be completed by then. just need to do a few more welds, grind, sand and paint. mount the burners and make a manifold for the gas lines. damn writing that down makes it seem like a lot of work, i need a beer.

BigBeer4All said:
then next weekend i plan on brewing up an IIPA using the same hops as my IPA just extra everything.

That sounds like a great idea...might do the same with the Maris Otter/Columbus SMaSH I have planned. One low grav/ibu and another on the big end...jack everything up 20%.

It's supposed to be around 100 degrees here in Baltimore today so I will be having a night brew session . We're making 5 gal of esb and 5 gal Ed worts apfelwine.

Mashing a Hoppy Blonde Ale... well only hoppy compared to IBU/OG. OG Target 1.035 (used 50% Vienna/Munich mix and gonna hit it with enzymes in the 2ndary to dry it out) IBU Target 24 (2 oz Cascade and 1oz of centennial all in the last 30 mins)

Looking for lower calories without sacrificing taste. ::fingers crossed::

Just pitched the yeast into the wheat beer portion of my Man Land Shandy, so name for the estimated 7-8%abv I'm shooting for . 3 gals of wheat beer at 1.092 and the lemonade ill be adding 2 days from now will contribute another almost 2 lbs of sugar. Whoo.

Brewed up 5 gallons of Kari's Cream Ale 2008 AHA National Homebrew Competition Gold Medal winner, hope its good. :D

Back