So clear it scares me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idover

Reaction score
I've never had much luck with getting very clear wort after the boil. Nonetheless, I've always been happy with the brews. This is a picture of today's batch, unfiltered using a turkey baster, straight from the kettle after chilling to ~75F. The only addition that could help with clarity at this point was a single whirlfloc tablet. I had to fiddle with some equipment, so I didn't even chill it as quickly as usual. I hit my numbers (1.062), but this is the first time that I've had this level of clarity before pitching.

I've not brewed with more experienced brewers, so I'm not sure what level of clarity I should be expecting after chilling? My strategy is to just get it cooled quickly.

Thanks!

20120409_001.jpg

Ha! No jokes for sure, that's just the sanitizer. Maybe it'll keep the yeast happy for a few days.

Assuming the cold break already separated out, that's pretty reasonable. I can usually easily read the hydrometer through the wort.

Mine usually looks like that, and it's usually nearly as clear when I transfer it to the keg. Once it's chilled I always get haze though. That's when I add gelatin and it's back to being clear in a few days.

Nice to see you achieved a goal you were shooting for. :mug: But, not to be a negative Nancy, I'll say I still don't understand the desire for clear beer. I'd probably guess 95% of all beverages outside of water are not clear. Just a short example of beverages that are not clear:

Most sodas
Most juices, well all really... all I can think of that aren't intentionally filtered
Milk
Coffee
Tea
Snapple
Gatorade

Etc. So why people focused at some point in history on making beer clear is kinda beyond me. Again, totally not trying to be the negative Nancy, and that sure does look nice and clear... I just never got why people care much about having crystal clear beer.

Rev.

afr0byte said:
That's a recipe for an infection, in my opinion. You can get a wine thief for cheap.

U can get a turkey baster for a buck..... its shorter than a thief but works for me

U can get a turkey baster for a buck..... its shorter than a thief but works for me

That's true, but I'd still recommend a wine thief. Even if it's a minor concern, you're still more likely to accidentally inject air in to the wort with a turkey baster.

Just a short example of beverages that are not clear:

Most sodas
Most juices, well all really... all I can think of that aren't intentionally filtered
Milk
Coffee
Tea
Snapple
Gatorade

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but most soda is clear (never seen cloudy Coke or Pepsi), most tea is clear (iced tea). I don't buy premade tea, but the last Arizona Green Tea I had was pretty brilliant. And clarity came about with the advent of clear glass. People seemed to like the clarity better than the cloudiness. Thanks lager!

But I do agree. Unless I am making a lager, I couldn't care less about how clear it really is. Same with my commercial beers.

And to the OP; is that really beer? or sanitizer? You seem to contradict yourself.

Nice to see you achieved a goal you were shooting for. :mug: But, not to be a negative Nancy, I'll say I still don't understand the desire for clear beer. I'd probably guess 95% of all beverages outside of water are not clear. Just a short example of beverages that are not clear:

Most sodas
Milk
Coffee
Tea
Snapple
Gatorade

Etc. So why people focused at some point in history on making beer clear is kinda beyond me. Again, totally not trying to be the negative Nancy, and that sure does look nice and clear... I just never got why people care much about having crystal clear beer.

Rev.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but most soda is clear (never seen cloudy Coke or Pepsi), most tea is clear (iced tea). I don't buy premade tea, but the last Arizona Green Tea I had was pretty brilliant. And clarity came about with the advent of clear glass. People seemed to like the clarity better than the cloudiness. Thanks lager!

But I do agree. Unless I am making a lager, I couldn't care less about how clear it really is. Same with my commercial beers.

Well, call me Debby or Nancy then, because I want clear beer. It's simply more aesthetically pleasing. Sometimes the taste of a clear beer is different (if it's a yeast haze causing the cloudiness) but sometimes not.

Drinking a beer that looks like orange juice, even if it tastes good, just isn't something I want to do. I don't mind a little hops haze in an IPA or IIPA, but all other beers should be clear for me to really feel that it's an excellent beer. Maybe I'm shallow, but it's important to me.

If it is something that affects taste than I don't want it. But as far as aesthetics, I like my stoneware for serving so it doesn't really play into my thinking. Of course, I do like my proper glassware from time to time. But I could still let it slide then. And I'll call you Debancy :).

Oh ye doubters, no pulling of legs here.

I can't say that I was shooting for an extremely clear wort, and a cloudy brew doesn't bother me unless it comes along with flavor issues. I posted this only because I was taken aback when I saw how clear it was, I was happier about hitting my numbers. I figured that either I am improving or something is horribly wrong :) I've noticed that many people hesitate when they try a cloudy homebrew for the first time. I don't object to clarity, and it seems to be more attractive to friends. I may try gelatin simply because I've never used it, I usually forget the whirlfloc, too.

I think the pink color is an illusion due to the 1990's white cabinets, the early 2000's red wall, and the camera in my phone that's catching about nine different light sources.

I have always used a sanitized turkey baster and sanitized the tube as well. I've thought about the wine thief, but is there really a significant advantage over a turkey baster? Sometimes I just siphon directly into the sanitized tube. I obsess over using sanitizer on every damned thing, and have never had a problem - at least not that I can blame on taking samples.

Thanks!
Ike

Oh ye doubters, no pulling of legs here.

I can't say that I was shooting for an extremely clear wort, and a cloudy brew doesn't bother me unless it comes along with flavor issues. I posted this only because I was taken aback when I saw how clear it was, I was happier about hitting my numbers. I figured that either I am improving or something is horribly wrong :) I've noticed that many people hesitate when they try a cloudy homebrew for the first time. I don't object to clarity, and it seems to be more attractive to friends. I may try gelatin simply because I've never used it, I usually forget the whirlfloc, too.

I think the pink color is an illusion due to the 1990's white cabinets, the early 2000's red wall, and the camera in my phone that's catching about nine different light sources.

I have always used a sanitized turkey baster and sanitized the tube as well. I've thought about the wine thief, but is there really a significant advantage over a turkey baster? Sometimes I just siphon directly into the sanitized tube. I obsess over using sanitizer on every damned thing, and have never had a problem - at least not that I can blame on taking samples.

Thanks!
Ike

I often sanitize my hydrometer test jar, too. Not because I put the sample back in the fermenter (I don't!) but because I usually manage to hit it about 4 times on the inside trying to fill it with a turkey baster and I figure it can't hurt to sanitize it. Today I was dryhopping with 4.5 ounces of hops, and sanitized the hydrometer tube, the turkey baster (so I could check the SG before adding the hops) and even the scissors to cut open the hops packages. But normally I forget that. :drunk:

I figure it's one of those things- probably not necessary but the extra caution won't hurt either.

With my HERMS, and a good cold break, I've had really clear wort going into the fermenter. I know that it's mostly aesthetics, but I LOVE holding a nice clear beer up that looks, smells, and tastes of a commercial beer (or even better!) quality. Maybe that makes me a beersnob, but I've also been known to visit friends and gleefully consume their cloudy beers just as quickly as a clear beer. It's just that my preference would be to have my own be clear.

It's like cooking. Stew would taste the same if it was prepared and thrown in a blender, or just served up in a bowl with a sprig of parsley. Even if it tastes the same, the nice serving presentation is just more appetizing.

but all other beers should be clear for me to really feel that it's an excellent beer. Maybe I'm shallow, but it's important to me.

It's kinda like ordering a steak well done... you're missing out on a lot of flavour.

Are you saying that clear beer has less flavor?

I personally love wits and hefe's and the flavour that the yeasts give them. If clearer is better then filtered would be best and we know that simply isn't so...

I personally love wits and hefe's and the flavour that the yeasts give them. If clearer is better then filtered would be best and we know that simply isn't so...

First of all, those two styles are exceptions to the rule--where the rule is that beers taste better when the yeast has dropped out of the beer. Second, there's nothing wrong with filtered beer. Do you not like Stone beers, for example? Do you not like Sierra Nevada?

afr0byte said:
Second, there's nothing wrong with filtered beer. Do you not like Stone beers, for example? Do you not like Sierra Nevada?

I think filtering removes alot of the flavor from beers. We don't get either of those beers here but I basically only drink microbrew unfiltered stuff. It's a preference and an opinion. I'll never be convinced otherwise. Lol

When I get a really beautifully clear beer in my glass, I will drink it slowly, and study it through the light until my wife tells me I am a fool of a man. I will do anything to get brilliantly clear beer. It is a mark of skill of the brewer.

Didn't mean to stir the pot this much with my comment. I've personally always felt clearing, or filtering which is what is most commonly done to commercial brews, removes a lot of body and taste compounds and the point of clear beer doesn't make much sense to me other than trying to copy the look of today's common commercial beers just so you can say you we're able to achieve the same. Clearing beer, again most modernly done commercially via filtering, or done via fining agents is mostly a non-natural process, I mean... gelatine? That's an animal derived byproduct.

Not saying I don't marvel at times how clear I've had some of my brews come out naturally, but I could care less overall so long as it's not uber opaque - @Yoop, orange juice is a big stretch, none of mine have ever been that opaque. I only get a light haze.

Rev.

Since I like to share my beers with nonbrewers I want a clear beer. While "we" may not be bothered by cloudly beers, non brewers are. To someone who doesn't know all the little aspects of homebrewing, a clear beer carries more weight than a cloudy one.

I understand it is a matter of taste, for me, I want my friends to enjoy what I brew with confidence not doubt.

When I get a really beautifully clear beer in my glass, I will drink it slowly, and study it through the light until my wife tells me I am a fool of a man. I will do anything to get brilliantly clear beer. It is a mark of skill of the brewer.

I agree. There is just something that tugs at my soul when I hold up a glass of homebrew and it is brilliantly clear... I feel like I truly accomplished something refined. I understand the appreciation for the somewhat "raw" element of a cloudy, unfiltered beer, but in my mind true greatness is accomplished when you have a beer that looks brilliant but still reaches out and punches you in the face with flavor. Obviously, just my personal opinion, but something in my head translates the extra effort, knowledge, or whatever you want to call it, that it takes to create such a beer qualifies as fundamental properties of a "better" beer.

Also, side note I should add... I almost always get a clear beer, and have never filtered, so I don't want to give anyone the impression I support filtering, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

I think filtering removes alot of the flavor from beers. We don't get either of those beers here but I basically only drink microbrew unfiltered stuff. It's a preference and an opinion. I'll never be convinced otherwise. Lol

Where are you that you can't get a Sierra Nevada or a Stone beer? Sierra Nevada is big enough that they're opening a new brewery on the east coast. I'm in Vermont an I can get both of those beers, which are both from California. Stone has been looking in to opening a second brewery in Europe.

For me its all about getting an idea for a brew in my mind and working to put it in my glass. If your idea is clear beer go for it. Most of my pale brews have been quite clear and i have never whirlpooled my wort, never used finings and never filtered the product at any stage. The only thing I do to "clear" my beer is use a ss seive to drop the cooled wort from the brew kettle to the fermenter, but that's to pull out the hops and aerate.

Didn't mean to stir the pot this much with my comment. I've personally always felt clearing, or filtering which is what is most commonly done to commercial brews, removes a lot of body and taste compounds and the point of clear beer doesn't make much sense to me other than trying to copy the look of today's common commercial beers just so you can say you we're able to achieve the same. Clearing beer, again most modernly done commercially via filtering, or done via fining agents is mostly a non-natural process, I mean... gelatine? That's an animal derived byproduct.

Not saying I don't marvel at times how clear I've had some of my brews come out naturally, but I could care less overall so long as it's not uber opaque - @Yoop, orange juice is a big stretch, none of mine have ever been that opaque. I only get a light haze.

Rev.

I don't use any finings, except for whirfloc in the kettle, and certainly never gelatin as I want my beer vegetarian friendly.

I don't think my beers lack flavor because they are clear. I work at making them that way, but not through filtering or fining. It's harder with a non-flocculant yeast like wyeast 1007 but it will clear. Keep in mind that if it's yeast haze (like with 1007), the only "flavor" that will be stripped when the beer is clear is the yeast bite. Which is a good thing.

Protein haze doesn't give the beer good flavor, either. Removing chill haze won't remove flavor from the beer. Perhaps sterile filtration removes flavor (and I know it does), but cold crashing and using whirlfloc in the kettle certainly does not. In fact, cold storage (lagering) can reduce polyphenols and excess tannins, but the worst that will do is mellow the beer and reduce unwanted compounds. It's not like a pilsner that is crystal clear after lagering is suddenly going to be flavorless, over the same beer that has a haze.

I would argue that clear IS the natural way for most beers to appear. The only way it would be possibly hazy is with a hops haze, but even then a hops haze is very slight. A protein haze is NOT supposed to be there, and if the beer has a protein haze it has other issues.

Clearing beer, again most modernly done commercially via filtering, or done via fining agents is mostly a non-natural process, I mean... gelatine? That's an animal derived byproduct.

Y'know what else is an animal derived byproduct?

Alcohol.

Back