So, am I the only "No TV" weirdo here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhumbline

Reaction score
I saw the thread about what tv shows have you given up on.

I didn't want to derail that thread but it got me wondering if there are any others out there who've written off the whole shebang.

I haven't had a tv in the house since 2004. The ROI on it just isn't there for me.

Anyone else?

I haven't given up on it completely, but I finally shut the cable off and got netflix instead. IMO there was nothing on network TV worth paying for, I was shelling out $90 per month and maybe watching 2 hours a week.

I like to have a few over the air stations to watch football and netflix is for the kids. Biggest improvement to my life in a long time, no more sitting around mindlessly watching TV that I'm not even interested in.

Like you said, the ROI just wasn't there anymore.

I didn't have one for a while, but its tough to beat the comfort of home for Packers games. Plus, if I go to a bar, where's my homebrew?!

I am also looking into OTA, can decide if I'm going to keep it simple and try the Mohu Leaf, or go with an attic/roof antenna.

I don't watch sports so ditching the cable was a no-brainer there.

I've been threatening to throw away my old TV for years, but I haven't yet been able to follow through with it. I cancelled my cable about 6 months ago and couldn't be happier about that decision. Less time sitting in front of the idiot box is always a good thing, though I still spend far too much time on the internet machine (iPad).

I still have Netflix for when I want to watch the occasional movie or TV show. I've been wanting to cancel that as well, but SWMBO won't let me.

I am also looking into OTA, can decide if I'm going to keep it simple and try the Mohu Leaf, or go with an attic/roof antenna.

Maybe someone can elaborate as to why this works but after I had my cable shut off I simply screwed the coax back in and ended up with all of the major networks in HD (NBC,CBS,ABC and Fox). Not sure if all the coax in the house is acting like an antenna or what, but it works and I'm not complaining.

We cancelled cable almost two years ago. We still watch a few movies and shows on DVD. I only miss it for sporting events.

After having our first child, we really didn't want to spend our lives sitting on the couch and being zombies. Don't get me wrong, I don't think everyone who has TV is wasting their lives. We just lacked the self control to turn it off.

My wife and son watch TV. For that I have to pay for cable.....

All I ever watch is the football game or sometimes my wife wants to go to the movies. other than that I don't watch movies or TV. Ever.

There are times I wish we didn't have the TV to waste our time with, but then it's hockey season. Currently starting season 2 of Supernatural for the wife. She got tickets to go to a convention Chicago and I'm supposed to bone up on the episodes. It's a good show, but I'd probably find something else to do if it weren't on. Probably play Guild Wars 2 or something.

Still, now that the days are getting shorter again I can work outside until nearly dark, come in and have a beer and a snack and watch an hour and a half of TV. When it's summer, it's hard to come inside that early.

Maybe someone can elaborate as to why this works but after I had my cable shut off I simply screwed the coax back in and ended up with all of the major networks in HD (NBC,CBS,ABC and Fox). Not sure if all the coax in the house is acting like an antenna or what, but it works and I'm not complaining.

It sounds like they did not cap off your line after you cancelled, and your cable company hasn't bothered to encrypt those channels yet. I would enjoy it while it lasts.

Chalk another one up in the "well, I would, except for sports" column; baseball is SWMBO's and my poison of choice. Especially with two teams in the same media market, the odds are high the game we wanna watch will be on some high-number hyper-local sport channel.

The cable company gave us an introductory year of free DVR service, which we had the idea we'd use to keep up with the few shows we ever bother to watch, but we're so far behind that, by the time we get through all the back seasons on Netflix, the now-current season will be available streaming anyway. But, hey, it'll come in handy making sure we don't miss any part of the A's inevitable march to World Series victory -- Oak-town, what what!!

Well, realistically, the other reason to keep cable is that just getting internet service al-a-carte would only save us a buck or two. It's a rigged game, but it's the only game in town...

Buying an Apple TV this weekend and canceling my DirecTV shortly thereafter.

The only major sport you can't subscribe to and stream live on a Roku or Apple TV is the NFL and that will probably change after the 2014 season.

I have the "triple-Play' deal from comcast. Telephone, internet and cable bundled. I think that if you ditch the cable, they take a few bucks off the bill, but its so little, I cant justify not having TV. How are you guys not paying through though the roof for just internet and phone?

Got rid of Comcast about ~5 years ago, and I live in a north-facing apartment, so that more or less precludes the option of a dish. The TV I have now doesn't get channels (no digital receiver). Not really enough of a sports guy that I can't wait until the next day to read the news, so that's probably helped with the ability to outright abandon cable/broadcast. Between Netflix, YouTube and Hulu through my Xbox/PC I watch what I was watching before, and saving ~$150/mo from what my friends who still have cable tell me. That's beer money, right there.

Do you have internet from your cable company? I had this happen a few years back when I switched to Satellite TV. Since I had Internet I still got the 'basic' package coming through. They had no way to turn it off.

Do you have internet from your cable company? I had this happen a few years back when I switched to Satellite TV. Since I had Internet I still got the 'basic' package coming through. They had no way to turn it off.

As a matter of fact, I do get my internet from them too. It does seem to be their basic package. (still nothing worth paying for) This must be what's going on. Thanks!

I'd have dropped cable a long time ago if not for my college sports.

We have all these channels, but watch network TV most of the time. If we are watching cables, it's 20 year old sitcom reruns. :rolleyes:

I have the "triple-Play' deal from comcast. Telephone, internet and cable bundled. I think that if you ditch the cable, they take a few bucks off the bill, but its so little, I cant justify not having TV. How are you guys not paying through though the roof for just internet and phone?

It's interesting: cable companies are hanging onto "bundle deals" as hard as they can while technology is making "al la carte" easier. Napster, itunes, and Pandora unbundled music. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Roku, and Apple TV are doing it with television.

My wife and I share a cell phone plan. No land line. Her line is a 100% tax write-off because it's also her business line. Mine is a 50% tax write-off because of my work.

My housemate picks up the internet. Right now it's Comcast but it might be Century Link soon because it's cheaper for the same speed.

Netflix, also picked up by the housemate is $5/month.

My DirectTV has been about $100/month. An Apple TV is $100 once. With my iMac, anything displayed on my computer or phone can be displayed wirelessly on the TV.

I've been planning the switch for a couple months. I've been waiting for my contract to expire.

What is a telephone?

Haven't had cable in over 20 years. Moved out to the super boondocks 13 years ago and don't even have OTA service. I don't miss anything as we get news via the papers, radio and over the internet. We do rent movies via Netflix on DVD though. Life is much more full and complete without paying attention to what some "celebrity" did on TV last night.

I stopped watching tv maybe 20 years ago. Sometimes I'll visit the wife while she is watching something, but I really don't find it all that entertaining. I like watching my kids, or even watching the sunset. Anything but television.

I am also in the middle. Hulu, Netflix, etc, no pay for cable.

Had this happen before. Cable automatically sends the most basic first half of channels (local and some smaller ones) though on the coax. You need the box for other signals. Often times they forget to disconnect it and you have free local channels/cable until they realize. Enjoy it.

If you do not have a HOA that disallows them get a full size roof-mounted antenna. You will get a much better signal than you would on one of the smaller or in attic versions.

If you do not have a HOA that disallows them get a full size roof-mounted antenna. You will get a much better signal than you would on one of the smaller or in attic versions.

yeah, but keeping it simple is more important to me at this point than picking up another 4 channels. I barely watch TV as it is.

no cable for 4 years, only netflix and hulu. The wife and I talked last night about getting rid of the TV all together. My hang up is college football.

I've thought a roof mounted antenna too. But I'm not sure I want a lightning rod up there. The thunderstorms come across our side of the mountain pretty low. My neighbor once had his window blown out and I've has enough static come through an open window to knock my housemate down.

yeah, but keeping it simple is more important to me at this point than picking up another 4 channels. I barely watch TV as it is.

I feel you there, but do realize with the digital tv transition you no longer will get the snowy channels and instead will get pixelated nothing or a beautiful picture. If you are close to a city and the stations it is fine, but if you are out in BFE it could prove unwatchable.

Note: I do not work selling tv antennas. I have just replaced the one on my fathers house enough times.

As for the lightning rod comment, Most houses have them already. They provide a path of least resistance which if installed properly should prevent damage to your house.

We cancelled cable almost two years ago. We still watch a few movies and shows on DVD. I only miss it for sporting events.

After having our first child, we really didn't want to spend our lives sitting on the couch and being zombies. Don't get me wrong, I don't think everyone who has TV is wasting their lives. We just lacked the self control to turn it off.

Thank you!

I have a TV and I don't understand why you wound't. Don't want it on? OK, there's an off button.

I respect the lack of self control argument a lot more than evil TV is evil and has to not be in my house.

Thank you!

I have a TV and I don't understand why you wound't. Don't want it on? OK, there's an off button.

I respect the lack of self control argument a lot more than evil TV is evil and has to not be in my house.

And that's my reason for not having it. I've got no self control. If I have tv, I walk in from work and park my butt in the chair and don't do anything productive for the next five hours.

I'm not on a crusade or anything, I'm just happy to know that I'm in good company.

Thank you!

Your're Welcome!

I stopped cable about 8 years ago or so. Yes we have FIOS now but only internet. I use Netflix and Amazon Prime to watch TV
If the TV providers want me to pay for TV I expect it to be 100% commercial free. But I am not willing to pay a dime for that crappy TV out there.

In Europe I had two options:
- Get cable and pay a monthly fee for the effort to cabling the neighborhood.
- Buy my own dish and receiver and receive the same channels as I get with cable. But all for free. No monthly fee.
Unless the US TV providers will offer something similar I am not getting TV.

Thank you!

That isn't a fair argument either Tx.

Cable TV costs money so there is a perfectly good reason not to have it if you don't want to watch television.

Over the air requires hooking your TV up to an antennae. While not particularly difficult, if I have no desire to watch any television ever then why would I even bother? That is akin to saying go dig a whole.. because you can. Don't want it there? OK, fill it back in.

I'm not in the 50/50 camp. I guess you can call it 70/30.

OTA tv. Netflix & PlayOn subscriptions.
Got rid of cable tv & phone (Comcrap bundle) and had a "discussion" with them about internet prices. So I basically took the bill from ~$150 a month to ~$30
Doing Ooma for landline to my home office.

Yeah, the sports part is kinda tough, but I find that I really don't miss ESPN all that much. I get enough to make me happy.
And I don't watch more, or less, tv than I did. I do have to say that the uncompressed HD that OTA tv gives you is *stunning* compared to cable quality.

One other side of it that actually was fun.
When I decided to cut the tv cord I got into antenna design & modelling.
It's kind of like brewing beer, in an electron capturing geeky sort of way.

Back