Snpa clone yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzersc

Reaction score
I ordered the SNPA clone from Midwest but accidentally got the munton's yeast. How bad is that yeast? I am thinking about making a run to my " lhbs" for yeast and a few other things. But it is like 50 miles away. They only have s-04 yeast. They are called liquid hobby out of Columbia sc. Can someone look at their website and see what yeast might be best? Sorry this is all jumbled, I am on an iPod touch.

Tanks, ron

Didn't look at their website but my first batch was a SNPA clone. Its conditioning in the bottles now. My kit recommended Safale US-05 but I am not sure of the difference compared with US-04 as I am just one batch into this hobby but it seemed to work out well. I proofed it and fermentation completed in 3-4 days. Its taste definitely shifted toward SNPA the longer I kept it in a fermenter (total of 21 days despite kit recommendations for 14).

Living in Charlotte, I travel a lot through SC and found that Thomas Creek Brewery in Greenville keep HB supplies if you didn't know. They are right of the I-85 if your traveling that way in the next few days or know someone that is.

Thanks. I see they have wl001. Might go with that. Or Nottingham I see edwort uses it in his haus pale ale.

The kit comes with perle and cascade, should I pick up some magnum for bittering with the perle?

The kit comes with perle and cascade, should I pick up some magnum for bittering with the perle?

May as well, if you are making the trip. Adjust that hop schedule though to get the appropriate IBUs. Magnum is high alpha :rockin:

US-05 is flipping awesome, BTW. I have used it 4x now and it is out of this world for a dry yeast.

This is what BYO's clone uses:

2.5 AAU magnum hops @ 60 min
4.8 AAU perle hops @ 60 min
5 AAU cascade hops @ 15 min
0.75 oz cascade hops @ 0 min
0.75 whole cascade hops dry hop

I'd probably just use what you have if it is 50 miles to the LHBS. Just rehydrate the yeast (even though muntons says you don't have to, trust me it makes a difference) and follow the Hops schedule that came with the kit. Then next time you make it try the different yeast and hops and see what the difference is.

I'd probably just use what you have if it is 50 miles to the LHBS. Just rehydrate the yeast (even though muntons says you don't have to, trust me it makes a difference) and follow the Hops schedule that came with the kit. Then next time you make it try the different yeast and hops and see what the difference is.

There is much, much, much to be said for sticking to the recipe.
--Says the guy who ruined his first batch by freelancing

Ok, I got 1056 yeast. I also have US-05. Going to use the 1056 cause it has an activator, and shorter shelf life.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/review/product/list/id/1710/?p=1

According to the reviews on this kit I should add an extra 1 lb of light dme which I have. I also have the 1 oz of Magnum. I really want the hop bite that SNPA has, and the reviews say this does not.

Here is what came in the box

6 lbs Gold Barley LME

Specialty Grains
8 oz Caramel 10L
8 oz Carapils

Hops
2 oz Perle @ 60
2 oz Cascade @ 2

What do you think I can do with what I have?

You will be good with either yeast.

I have made this kit before and think adding the DME you have would really been a benefit.

What is the AA of your hops and how big of a boil are your planning? You might want to add a little of the magnum depending.

I think you will be fine without the magnum, assuming a full boil it puts you at 54 IBU.

Plenty for that beer IMO.

Also what is the fermentation like with this one and the 1056? Airlock or blow off tube?

Does 3 gal vs 5 gal boils really change IBUs that much?

It certainly matters.. you can calculate it with any brew software, but the basic chemistry of it is that the alpha acids are more readily extracted in lower gravity. So if you do a 3 gallon boil, your gravity is much higher than if you did a full 5 gallon boil. I don't have my brew software on this laptop or I'd tell you exactly what the IBU diff would be.

or would I better off doing a 90 minute boil?

I think I might do this tonight batch.

sorry, I'd answer but I don't have enough experience with extract to comment on the late addition lme. Also, I've heard 90 minute boils are the bees knees, but again haven't tried it myself because I was going through so much propane as it is with 60 minutes. Now that I'm moving to electric, I plan to try some 90 minute boils and see if it makes a difference.

I brewed it last night.

The only changes I made were:

Added 1 lb Light DME@ 20
Added 1 oz Cascade @ 15 (said 2 oz @ 2)
Added 1 oz Cascade @ 5 (see above)

Did not use the magnums.

In the bucket @ 11:30 pm
Bubbling @ 7a this morning

Airlock smells goooood!

Back