Liquid Yeast shipped HOT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikesNtexas

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am just getting back into brewing after 5 years or so. After taking up beekeeping several years ago I decided to have a go at some Mead and ordered WLP720 from Norther Brewer. They packaged it well enough but its up in the triple digits here in Texas and my yeast showed up hot to the touch. According to my thermal gun it was around 96 degrees after sitting inside for about an hour (I was away from the house when it showed up).

On Friday afternoon I created the starter and saw no activity on Saturday, and very little activity on Sunday. I wanted to be sure it was the yeast and not my starter Must so I used some dry yeast (Lalvin EC-118) I use for ginger ale on a second starter and that yeast was active inside of an hour. Today, my original starter is going strong. I know that some yeast starters can take a while to get started but due to the intense heat I am wondering if my starter is brewing with my intended yeast, or is it more likely I have a wild yeast at work?

The yeast was placed in the fridge for a few hours before I was ready to make the starter and then slowly warmed back up to room temperature on the counter.

2000 ml Starter on spin plate
OG 1.04
PH was above 4.4 (the highest my PH strip would read)
3/4 cup of honey
1/2 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1/4 teaspoon yeast energizer

Im sorry if this post is redundant, I did look first.

Your input is appreciated!

Mike

I'll just say that the one time I brewed with yeast that had overheated, even though I did get starter activity, I ended up dumping the batch because of the awful flavor. I am pretty sure it was from that yeast. I learned my lesson to have some dry yeast on hand as a plan B at all times.

Your yeast may be fine, but - do you have any other options whatsoever?

I guess you could see if it ferments your starter, and if your starter tastes OK. If both are yes, then...

I'll just say that the one time I brewed with yeast that had overheated, even though I did get starter activity, I ended up dumping the batch because of the awful flavor. I am pretty sure it was from that yeast. I learned my lesson to have some dry yeast on hand as a plan B at all times.

Your yeast may be fine, but - do you have any other options whatsoever?

I guess you could see if it ferments your starter, and if your starter tastes OK. If both are yes, then...
I have some Lalvin D47 on hand. I've never used it before but thought it would be a good backup since so many others use it for their Meads.

Pour a little of the starter into a glass and give it a taste. If it tastes bad, then it's probably going to make bad mead. If it tastes ok, then it's probably ok.

I would doubt you have a wild yeast problem. The yeast count probably got knocked down quite a bit with the heat and took some time to take off. If the starter tastes bad there is always the chance with a few steps up the yeast health will recover but it's up to you if you want to spend the resources to find out.

I brewed in Texas for a long time and very rarely had yeast shipped. On one hand yeast survive in the wild in the same summer heat and in hotter environments just fine. On the other hand you never know how hot the back of those trucks or warehouses get. For me it was worth driving a bit to source yeast from a shop if I needed it. That was part of the reason why I always harvest and store yeast.

Pour a little of the starter into a glass and give it a taste. If it tastes bad, then it's probably going to make bad mead. If it tastes ok, then it's probably ok.
I don't understand this logic or where it comes from. Yeast, even in top condition, taste like **** generally. That's why most beer tastes better once it goes bright. Once the yeast have dropped out. Apart from wit beers and ridiculous hazy hop bombs you could hide a bag of fish n chips in, there are few exceptions.

They packaged it well enough but its up in the triple digits here in Texas and my yeast showed up hot to the touch. According to my thermal gun it was around 96 degrees after sitting inside for about an hour.
Your issue is precisely why I buy dry yeast in bulk during the late fall and early spring months and reuse it whenever I can.

I don't understand this logic or where it comes from. Yeast, even in top condition, taste like **** generally. That's why most beer tastes better once it goes bright. Once the yeast have dropped out. Apart from wit beers and ridiculous hazy hop bombs you could hide a bag of fish n chips in, there are few exceptions.

If you know what healthy yeast and a healthy fermentation tastes like, then you know whether it tastes off, regardless of whether you enjoy the taste.

Like I don't enjoy the taste of straight hop cones but if I thought the hops were too old to use I could still make a hop tea and figure out if they tasted right.

Latest posts

Back