Smoking Turkey for Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubs731

Reaction score
This past summer my gf bought me a $50 Brinkmann Charcoal Smoker from Walmart. Since then, I'm hooked on smoking! This Thanksgiving I put a barbecue dry rub on our 18 lb. turkey and let it sit for 24 hrs. in the fridge. I then covered the turkey with bacon and smoked for 12 hrs. with just plain charcoal. It came out delicious!

This Christmas I'm smoking a 12.5 lb. turkey doing the same thing but would like to add some apple wood to it for the flavor. Any tips from anyone? I see Walmart sells the apple chips. When do I add these? Any other info. or tips is appreciated.

I don't think wal mart chips will work well. You should have large chunks. The chips will burn up too fast. 2 or 3 chunks are good at a time and I start using them right from the beginning. I add 2 or 3 more chunks an hour later and that's probably enough. If you like more smoke repeat a third time.

Small chips work just fine. Make sure you soak them for 20 minutes or so before adding them and you're good to go. I smoke things all of the time with similar chips (but never used WalMart chips) and have never had an issue.

My tip is don't use too much wood. It is really easy to overpower the turkey with smoke. Chunks are definitely the way to go as well.

Only use the chips towards the beginning of the smoke (cold meat takes up smoke very well). Best bet is to make a like a big pouch with some tin foil, fill it with chips and then poke some holes into it, this will help keep the wood smoldering as opposed to just burning. Toss this onto your coals

wood-chips-for-bbq.jpg

http://www.davidtinney.net/smoking-with-wood.html

I ended up going with chunks...started with 3 at the beginning then 3 midway. I never soaked them, think I should next time.

The chunks shouldnt need soaking. I have a WSM and I use Kingsford and chunks of apple and have great smoke flavor, but not too much just by putting chunks throughout the charcoal, then dumping lit coals on top. Depending on how your basket is set up you may be able to do the same. I do not even put water in the water pan and my turkeys end up almost too juicy.

If you are going to add more smoking wood, do it maybe 30 minutes in after you add the meat. As was said before colder meat is what absorbs the smoke.

Latest posts

Back