Smoking beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Got the smoker going today. Brisket and ribs. We got some beans to add just for the heck of it. There Bush original beans, basic canned stuff off the shelf.
I'm thinking there pre cooked/flavored and smoking wont get me as much as it would starting from scratch.

I was just going to throw them in a small tin around 4 x 6 so there a couple inches deep and put in the smoker for an hour or until the center bubbles. Which is what I read online to do.

I'm thinking the smoke from the wood will be long gone by the time I put them in at the end of the smoking day...should I add more wood chunks or would that be a waste of wood?

Any tips???

No bean smokers around today.
I put them in a bread loaf tin and smoked for around 2 hours at around 275... Definitely have a smokey charcoal type flavor. Different than the "smokey BBQ" flavor from a can...will do again

I put them in a bread loaf tin and smoked for around 2 hours at around 275... Definitely have a smokey charcoal type flavor. Different than the "smokey BBQ" flavor from a can...will do again

This is a recipe that I found on a popular smoking forum so I take no credit for them.

But I can tell you this when I fire up the smoker these are the most requested side dish bar none.

WICKED BAKED BEANS
(Beans that will even make Chili Heads happy)

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares
1/2 Medium onion, diced
1/2 Bell pepper, diced
1 - 2 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)
1 - 55 ounce can Bushs Baked Beans
1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 Cup ketchup
1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

Saute bacon pieces in fry pan until crispy and remove from pan with a slotted spoon. Saute onion, bell pepper and jalapeno pepper until tender.

In a large mixing bowl combine beans, pineapple, brown sugar, ketchup and dry mustard. Stir in bacon pieces and vegetables. Pour into a 12X9 or a deep 9X9 aluminum baking pan. (While mixing if things look dry, add additional ketchup 1/4 -1/2 cup at a time)

Place in a 220-250° smoker for 2 1/2 - 3 hours (make sure temperature of the baked beans reaches 160° ) or place in a 350° oven and bake for 1 hour.

NOTE: If you are making these beans as a side dish for Kansas City style pork ribs, smoke the removed skirt meat for 1-1 1/2 hours, then dice the skirt meat and stir into the Baked Beans.

DISCLAIMER

With the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard these beans have the potential for some MAJOR heat. CAUTION should be exercised when feeding these beans to small children and/or the elderly.

To make this recipe Family Friendly, omit the Jalapeno pepper and the dry mustard.

I was thinking of doing this exact thing with pinto beans.

Here's a recipe starting with dried beans rather than canned:
wash and pick over in a 3 qt saucepan:
1/2 lb navy or Great Northern beans
cover with 1 qt hot water. If the water is hard, add 1 Tbsp salt. Bring to a boil, boil 1 minute, then turn off heat. Let soak for 1-8 hours.
Drain and rinse. Cover with 1 qt hot water. Again, if the water is hard, add 1 Tbsp salt. Add
1 bay leaf, 1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes, and 1" piece cinnamon stick.
Bring to a boil and simmer until beans are soft and creamy-textured but not falling apart.
At this point you've got pot beans. You could start from here with canned plain navy or Great Northern beans to save time at the expense of some flavor and texture.
Remaining water should just cover the beans or less. If necessary, drain some cooking water. Put the beans in an ovenproof baking dish and stir in:
1 c vegetable juice (V8)
2 Tbsp prepared yellow mustard
3 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp hot paprika
Put a few pieces bacon, ham or fatty barbecue scraps on top. Place dish in smoker or oven and bake for a few hours at low temp. If using an oven, cover the dish. Add hot water during cooking if beans look dry.

This way the beans are fully cooked before they get the sauce and go into the smoker. Advantage is that you don't have to worry about getting them warm enough to cook to a soft texture.

Back