Cherry Smoked Spatchcock Turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick Poggetti

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sup folks...

Last year... my BIL and I both cooked a turkey for the family for thanksgiving. Hit did rotisserie with no wood... just charcoal, and I did a spatchcock with a mirepoix underneath for the gravy.

Both were fantastic, but I'm brainstorming how to make it even better this time around.

You know...because we're doing it again and I want to be the winner of course.

I'm going to do the same thing, spatchcock with a mirepoix underneath. The gravy was incredible by the way... It had a prominent but not overpowering smoke flavor to it that has me excited to have it again this year.

I plan to use some chunks of cherry mixed in with the charcoal.

My wife suggested a maple wet brine and sent me this recipe.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/maple-brined-turkey-recipe-1946360
We're both cooking it on a Kamado Joe.

Anyone have any pointers or thoughts?

Thanks!
Nick

I use equal parts of sugar maple and black cherry when smoking pretty much anything. That includes turkey. Gives it a great flavor with that combo.

I've not brined a turkey. Never needed to. I use a probe thermometer into the breast and pull it when it hits 158F. Comes out perfect (if I put it in properly ;)). If you go to 165F, it will be over done.

I'm using a large BGE for everything. I've also been using the Flame Boss 500 for a while now to keep temperatures more stable during the cook. While I could do it with just using the vents, the FB500 makes it easier. Plus I get the alert (be sure you set it to do that with EVERY farking cook) when it hits temperature.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll look into getting some sugar maple. I've got the probe thermometer... Have a few actually but plan on using Meater+.

I do eventually want to get myself a Flame Boss or some equivalent, but it's an expense I've been delaying. I don't have much trouble keeping steady temps without so I just haven't been in a rush to get one, as much as I want one. The Meater+ does give alerts when you're at and approaching temps so that's good.

Thanks for the input!

I've got a KJ as well, covid purchase. I did this last year and my wife said she isn't going to bother cooking turkey ever again. I think we had a 18'ish lb turkey? Family of 5, it was more or less demolished at the end of the night, leftovers were gone by the weekend. There may be better recipes out there, but I was just going to go w/the same one.

Regarding maintaining temps, I cheat nowadays with a Fireboard and blower. Just makes it too easy. I setup a pork butt early in the morning, monitored it a little bit while I was out a soccer tournament all day and timed it pretty well so when I got home I just threw it in the oven for a rest. Was able to do the shredding a little after everybody settled in. Was an easy way to get good food after a long day.

Totally. I did mention the blower was on my list of things to get eventually, I've been pleased with Thermowerks and had considered the Billows with one of those temp controllers they offer.

Back