Smoked English IPA - Could this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kombat

Reaction score
I was listening to a brewing podcast on Rauchbier, and it occurred to me that it might be interesting to try smoked malt with some other styles. I love IPAs, so that's the first style that came to mind. However, I think the smoke character would conflict with a bright, citrusy, West-coast style IPA.

So I thought, "What about a traditional English IPA? The smokiness might go nicely with the subdued, earthy European hops, and compliment the bitterness."

I've got a bunch of extra East Kent Goldings and Fuggles (about a pound each), and a bunch of Maris Otter. I don't have my brewing software with me right now so I can't come up with exact numbers, but I'm thinking something like:

10-12 lbs Maris Otter
2 -3 lbs smoked malt
0.5 lb Carafoam

Bunch of East Kent Goldings at 60 to get IBUs up to around 60-80
A couple ounces more near flameout to impart a little hop flavour
A couple ounces more dry hop for aroma.

I'd ferment with English Ale yeast.

I have no idea how this would turn out - I was hoping for some insight from others who've already tried something similar. Can this work, or is there something fundamentally incompatible/conflicting about adding smoked malt to an English IPA?

This gets into a nebulous area because it is a matter of personal taste -- For me, when I drink and IPA, I am looking for the hops. I agree with your initial thought: English or American, I think the smoke would conflict.

You might consider a more malt-forward English style, such as a mild or porter, that (it seems to me) would be a better fit.

All that being said: Meh, go for it. This is homebrewing -- you are supposed to experiment. Let us know how it turns out!

I made a smoked apa before and I used 8oz smoked malt and it had a slight smoked flavor which is what I was looking for. I would say maybe start with 1.5 pounds smoked malt so the hops and still come through.. Then you can always add more next time. let us know how it comes out.

Latest posts

Back