Small Sour Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgapc

Reaction score
i am going to start experimenting with brett yeast and am using my old mr. beer since i don't want to "contaminate" my main set of equipment, does anyone know how long this will take to ferment at 62 degrees, and can anyone give me an idea on teh best way to carbonate the 16oz bottles (ie half teaspoon sugar per bottle or one or two carb tabs)
2 gallon batch:
3 lbs pilsner dme
0.4 oz cascde (since i have a bulk supply) for 60 minutes
White Labs WLP645 Brettanomyces Claussenii

According to the mad fermentationist's blog, Brett like a ferment in the upper 70s. 63F seems rather cool.

If brett is your primary strain, it will only take a little longer then sacch. It will not get near as funky as if it were secondary strain. Check out the lambic/ sour section on this forum. Great tips.

You would prime with the same amount that you would a standard ale. Bottle conditioning will take a little longer due to the fact that brett is a slower fermenting yeast. I use the Belgian Sour mix as a secondary yeast after allowing the simple sugars to be taken care of by a good attenuating ale yeast.

CA_Mouse said:
You would prime with the same amount that you would a standard ale. Bottle conditioning will take a little longer due to the fact that brett is a slower fermenting yeast. I use the Belgian Sour mix as a secondary yeast after allowing the simple sugars to be taken care of by a good attenuating ale yeast.
Thanks for that info I always thought u use less sugar with Brett I'm basically doin it the same way u would if you were bottling a mr beer batch 3/4 tsp vane sugar in the bottle, or equal am to carb tabs

If brett is your primary strain, it will only take a little longer then sacch. It will not get near as funky as if it were secondary strain. Check out the lambic/ sour section on this forum. Great tips.

what if i were to use an packet of T-58 let that ferment for a week then add teh brett?

It will develop more funk but will take months and months till it gets good. Either way is fine. It just depends on the type of beer you want.

Back