Small Business Saturday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingiwasfishing

Reaction score
Hi All!

With the sale season coming up I think it's important to keep in mind the small businesses that make our hobbies possible.

I am going to write down and recommend a few that I feel have served me well. No affiliation, etc, etc

Chicago Brew Werks - Local HomeBrew business to me with an amazing Tap room...great people who run it and work there!

Spike Brewing - I recently put together a Spike Brewing system (2 kettle Rims). Awesome Kettles...it's great to see people still producing quality welds! Why is something like that becoming a lost art???

Auber Instruments - I didn't have the time, at the time, to design my own panel...and the kit worked out quite well.

Jaybird at NorCal Brewing Solutions - Don't really know him well...but a local guy, to this board, and he makes nice products at a good price!

I'm sure there are plenty more good selections...I would encourage adding some of your favorite small businesses to the list.

Below are a few pictures of my Spike Brewing system. Really top notch purchase from the discussion of what to build, and any custom work...to impressive packaging and awesome workmanship and quality overall!

Spike1_zpst88tlzfs.jpg

Spike2_zps12yc5gwf.jpg

spike3_zpslsc0acnv.jpg

spike4_zpsy6jqxq9t.jpg

spike6_zps4dpox3fz.jpg

spike7_zpsxh99h9tk.jpg

spike9_zpshplb6orl.jpg

spike10_zpssxs4erk9.jpg

spike11_zpscbnxe97y.jpg

I love how the lid can hook on the kettle handle. I have a Northern Brewer Megapot and the lid will not hook on the handle of the pot. I can't imagine how that could have been missed. All I can figure is the pot was designed and specified by someone who doesn't homebrew. When I see something like Spike produces with those little touches, it suggests real care in thinking about and producing their product.

Some day...some day....

Home Brew Ohio - Located in Sandusky, OH, they have always been wonderful to me and helped me get started in this hobby.

Vine N Hop - Small start up shop in Brunswick, OH. I currently go there for everything I need because I pass it on my way to work. They owners have been super helpful, and even went out of their way to take apart a brand new keg just to help me get a new pressure relief valve when I first started kegging. Top notch customer service.

Both of these businesses are incredible and deserve shout outs! Thanks for starting this thread.

This was really a Christmas come early for me :) The lids fitting on the handles is a nice touch, the kettles scream quality through and through.

I'll keep the Ohio locations in mind. I used to travel through Ohio quite a bit, but not much any more...there's really some beautiful land in Ohio. A buddy of mine used to work for a company headquartered out of Ohio and he new one of the guys who started Actual Brewing. Never been there myself...I hear they're pretty good.

thanks for the OHIO contributions!

I second Jaybird at Nor Cal Brewing as a stand up, stand out businessman.

I'd like to thank the brewmonger in st. Catherine's Ontario Canada. He has been awsome to me!

A little late in the day, but here are my recos:

Adventures in Homebrewing - A local shop for us Michiganders. Great products. Great prices. Cheap shipping. And you can buy grains in small increments. Plus they offer a rewards program.

Home Brew Ohio - Amazon card burning a hole in your pocket? Buy from them. Good selection on Amazon, competitive prices, and out-freaking-standing customer service!

Wilser Brew Bags - The only BIAB bags I will ever use! Great quality. Awesome prices. And he's a forum member too!

Back