Sludge in Fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kswim612

Reaction score
I just moved my second brew to the secondary and I was trying to get the sludge out of the fermentor without making too much of a mess. I was wondering what everyone thought was the best/easiest way to get rid of it? I have just been using paper towel and have been scooping it out into the trash can.

Rinse and dump works well. Bushes or flower beds make a good place to dump it or down the drain. It's hops, yeast, and proteins.

Pour it into sanitized beer bottles, cap and refrigerate. That's yeast you can use on your next batch. Just make sure you label the caps so you don't pop one open by mistake thinking it's a tasty beer.

I & some others have done articles on yeast washing you'll find helpfull if you've never done it. Not to mention,if you've just used a fancy liquid yeast you hate to just toss out. Dump in 2cups or so of boiled & cooled water to rinse the yeast & trub off the bottom of the FV. It gets compacted down pretty good,so swirl it around quite well to loosen it all. I pour it into a 1/2 gallon kosher dill jar I washed out for doing this. Then proceed as instructed in the article.
If you're just using a common dry yeast you'd just rather dump,then put enough water in the FV to swirl it all up into suspension & flush it. I then proceed to dump in 3TBSP PBW & fill with water to just above the krausen ring. Stir well to dissolve the PBW& let it sit a few hours to soak loose all the gunk. Whipe with soft cloth or a bottle brush (gently) to make sure the sides are clean,dump & rinse.

It shouldn't solidify, Given the volume you should consider running the water a minute or two after though.
Like everyone else I scatter it over the lawn/bushes

Dump it on plants if you can/want too, its actually good for them like a natural fertilizer.

I just put a quart of water or so, swish it around, dump it out back then rinse the rest down the drain.

I compost the yeast sludge. My father in law says it's really good for the garden.
In the "Joy of Homebrewing" Papazian suggests mixing a tablespoon into some orange juice and drinking it. It has a ton of vitamen B 12 which is depleted by drinking alcohol.

Latest posts

Back