Slowing down fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm leaving for Thanksgiving vacation soon and need to slow down my current Kombucha fermentation. Would it be okay to sock my 2 gallon fermentation container in the fridge for say 24 hours to slow everything down a bit?

I'm leaving for Thanksgiving vacation next week and need to slow down my current fermentation. Would it be okay to sock my 2 gallon fermentation container in the fridge for say 24 hours to slow everything down a bit while I'm gone?

When did you brew the beer? How long are you going to be gone? Why do you think you need to slow it down?

I tend to think that vacation times are ideal for getting a batch going and then leaving it to do its thing. No temptation to check on it incessantly and when you get home you have an (almost) finished beer waiting for you.

If it's been sitting in primary for a while and you're concerned about it sitting on the trub then you could always rack it to a secondary, but I don't see any reason to go to any exceptional measures to slow it down.

EDIT - just realized this was the Kombucha/Fermented Tea forum, which I have no experience with, so feel free to ignore my comments if it's fundamentally different than making beer. :)

Oops, I just realized this isn't a beer forum. Foreign territory for me! I'd delete the post, but this is the best I can do.

I'm leaving for Thanksgiving vacation soon and need to slow down my current Kombucha fermentation. Would it be okay to sock my 2 gallon fermentation container in the fridge for say 24 hours to slow everything down a bit?

No the time it takes for 2gallons to warm back up would put you at risk foe mood for way too long. You'd be better served to go a head and bottle early, let it finish fermenting in the bottles.

Back