Slow trickling Perlick:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Good morning,

Just a question about an issue with my tap/kegerator. I recently added a 2nd pass thru perlick 630 to a new kegerator. The new tap is flowing wonderfully, but the original (which is also like new, only on it's first keg ever) is producing a slow trickle.

Both kegs are using similar pressure (12-14 psi) and the one with the issue was racked in from a secondary, stopped the siphoning well above the sediment, so I doubt it's dip tube clog, but can't really rule it out.

Only thing I can think of is the tap being clogged? I rinsed it out thoroughly along with the bev line using 5 star line cleaner, since it sat a week while I built my new kegerator.

How would you approach this? Re-rinse the tap, shank, line? Replace the beverage line assembly?

I'm new to kegging so have little idea where to start.

Kind regards

What happens if you swap the kegs between the two taps? Does the problem remain with the tap?

Exactly what i was going to suggest. This should help narrow it down for you.

I had the exact same problem and it ended up being a semi clogged dip tube

It'a a pretty common issue (google leaking perlick). I'd try stripping it down and inspecting all the seals. Replace any worn seals then reassemble using keg lube to lubricate the moving parts.

Okay will switch the lines and see if that diagnoses the issue, then go ahead with tearing apart the assembly.

If not, likely a dip tube?
In that case I'm not sure. Keg is 2/3 full. Any remedies? Keep pouring slow til it's empty, then get the dip tube out to unclog?

If the problem remains with the keg, then yes, you're most likely looking at a clogged liquid dip tube or the poppet is not sitting correctly inside the post. To remedy, disassembly the post, inspect, clean, and sanitize the tube, poppet, and post and reassemble. The fact that the keg is still full of beer should not be an issue.

If the problem remains with the keg, then yes, you're most likely looking at a clogged liquid dip tube or the poppet is not sitting correctly inside the post. To remedy, disassembly the post, inspect, clean, and sanitize the tube, poppet, and post and reassemble. The fact that the keg is still full of beer should not be an issue.

shut off gas to keg, then unscrew it out? Or does it need a purge? Last time I purged a carbd keg, the pressure release valve foamed like crazy. Getting it down to 0 psi would be A mess id think. No?

Yes, you'll need to bleed the CO2 off completely or you'll get a beer shower when you disassemble it. As long as the keg is cold, it shouldn't foam.

So, steps are...
1) Disconnect gas and liquid lines from keg
2) Bleed CO2 from keg
3) Unscrew liquid post and remove poppet from post
4) Remove dip tube (once the dip tube has been removed, cover the port with foil or a Starsan soaked paper towel while you work on the other parts)
5) Inspect, clean, sanitize, and reassemble tube, dip tube O-ring, poppet, & post to keg.
6) Attach gas and liquid lines to keg
7) Fill with CO2 and test the liquid flow

A spray bottle filled with Starsan works great for sanitizing around the outside of the keg and the keg parts.

It'a a pretty common issue (google leaking perlick). I'd try stripping it down and inspecting all the seals. Replace any worn seals then reassemble using keg lube to lubricate the moving parts.

Duh, sorry...when I first read this I thought you meant the faucet was leaking/trickling after shutting it off. Now I get it that it's the flow that is down to a trickle.

I've only had the flow issue twice in about 12 years of kegging. The first was with a back-sweetened batch of skeeter pee where the sugar didn't dissolve very well and it plugged the dip tube. The other was during a hot spell and the keezer was struggling to keep the kegs at my set temp. Three taps worked fine but a couple of the lower ABV beers started to ice up around the dip tube. The dip tube plugged with sugar trickled whereas the iced one foamed like crazy. So based on my experience, it's prob a clogged dip tube.

As others have said, de pressurize the keg (slowly should help with foaming) then unscrew the post, pull out the dip tube and clean it out. You can trim about 3/8" off the dip tube before reinstalling it and it should keep it from sucking up sediment, but it also means you're leaving a little bit more beer behind when you kick the keg.

Short of disassembling you could try forcing co2 down the dip tube to clear it up. That will likely stir up the sediment some, though.

SO, thanks all for the advice. This took me quite awhile today to fix, but I did get it done.

Switched to the other line, good flow. Ruled out clogged dip tube.

Took off line, detached all, cleaned. saw no issue. reattached. absolutely no flow now. was puzzled.

Took out dip tube anyway, cleaned, reinstalled. No flow.

THEN, it hit me. The carbonation stone. I had done my research and came back with the idea that if I use one, just leave it on if I didn't need it for another keg, which i didn't. I opened the lid, with a sanitized glove and scissors cut the sucker off. Hooked up Co2, immediately heard the hiss of pressure, and I've got a good flowing tap. This thing must have clogged on me. beer was also backed up into the line connecting the stone. Lesson learned I guess? Don't use carbonation stones if planning on leaving them in place?

THEN, it hit me. The carbonation stone. I had done my research and came back with the idea that if I use one, just leave it on if I didn't need it for another keg, which i didn't. I opened the lid, with a sanitized glove and scissors cut the sucker off. Hooked up Co2, immediately heard the hiss of pressure, and I've got a good flowing tap. This thing must have clogged on me. beer was also backed up into the line connecting the stone. Lesson learned I guess? Don't use carbonation stones if planning on leaving them in place?

Ah, funny. I just started using a carbonation stone for soda water. It was trickling out even at 25psi, then I realized, it was still fizzing at the stone. I think it lets the co2 out so slowly that it doesnt have time to build pressure back up right away.

Latest posts

Back