Slightly scorched element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmayhugh

Turgid Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I inadvertently reversed my input and output hoses on my RIMS tube...:eek:

I corrected the problem pretty quickly and proceeded with my brew day.

After breaking down my RIMS tube, I discovered that there had apparently been a bubble that exposed part of the heating element for some period of time and here's the result
ScorchedElement640x480.png

I attempted to clean the scorched area with Bar Keepers Friend, to no avail.
I have a spare element, but is this one still usable? It seemed to be working fine, ie, drawing the appropriate amperage etc.

Hit it with a stainless wire brush to get the black stuff off and try it out.

I have had similar burnt on build up and used a green scotch bright pad and BK Friend to remove it. If I ensure the element doesn’t touch the inside of the tube, though I get a spongy build up that simply wipes off, I don’t get it burnt on like that.

This would be one of those posts I wish the guys that gave me a hard time about having a flow switch in my setup to prevent the element from firing when theres no flow (Or flow the wrong way) would see.. you can stick one of these inline wired directly to one of your ssr control wires to prevent any future scorching and for piece of mind while your step out of the room while brewing if you do..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-flo...334294?hash=item33e3739296:g:laEAAOSwHLNZU~Iq

It says the flow sensors max temp is 80C. I get around that doing mashout. Anyone melted one?

It says the flow sensors max temp is 80C. I get around that doing mashout. Anyone melted one?
its stainless steel.. the internals are stainless as well. the reed senor sits in a drilled out stainless cavity and Im not sure what thats made of honestly since its got shrinktubing over it. Ive been using mine ok and have done water tests with it raising the mash water to 168 with it without issues. I have two brewing systems using them. nothing comes in contact with anything but the stainless.

Back