Slick mouthfeel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt2778

Reaction score
Well first post here goes.

The wife got me gift card to the lhbs for fathers day and I recently developed a brewing addiction as I'm a stay at home dad. Well the first extract brew I did was the brewers best ipa. In my haste I racked it to the primary after 1 week and I secondaried for two. After just over two weeks conditioning and a further 12 hours chilling I had to try one( can't help being impatient). I first noticed it had very little head and was undercarbed. The taste was great but it did leave me with a slick mouthfeel. I guess my question is will this slickness clear up if I let it condition longer or even if I chill it properly?

Thanks
Matt

Carbonation will help a LOT with mouthfeel. Give it another couple weeks in a warm place and try another bottle.

Just two chilled. I'm hoping it's not any kind of infection since the taste is great and the gravity readings were all spot on

Patience, my friend. When you hurry, you get what you got.

Congrats on getting into the hobby. Welcome to HBT.
Now, read EVERY post in this forum, the stickies, the wiki, ....
treat it like the obsession it will become. Respect the hobby....

:D

Okay, glad you have a secondary. That means you have TWO fermenters! :ban:

(two batches at a time, right?!)

Unless you're adding fruit or dry hopping, you can leave that beer in the primary next time - for 3-4 weeks. Then transfer to a bottling bucket and bottle away.

Watch your temps. Single BEST thing you can do - look up your yeast at the manufacturers site and get the optimal temp recommendations, then shoot for the low side to accommodate the rise in temps that yeast activity creates (5-10F! - really!). A tub of water, with some frozen bottles swapped out makes for inexpensive temp control. A spare fridge is nice...

oh, and 3 weeks at 70F is the minimum recommendation for adequate carbonation - jus sayin'

Then chill a few more, leave them there for 24 to 48 hours... then see what they're like and report back. Probably really tasty.

B

Back