Siphoning bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kegged an American Amber yesterday - one of the first that I have dry hopped with whole leaf hops. Everything was going fine until I had about a gallon or a bit less left. Then I started getting fine bubbles in the tubing.

I've had this problem before with tubing that's loose on the AutoSiphon. Air bubble enter at the junction of the tubing and the plastic of the AutoSiphon. That wasn't the case here, the bubbles were coming up from the bottom of the carboy.

I wasn't sure what was going on, so I just stopped and ended up wasting 1-2 sixpacks worth of beer. I didn't want to risk oxidation and ruining the rest of the batch.

When I cleaned up, I found several hop leaves stuck in the end of the siphon. Now I'm thinking that the turbulent flow caused by these leaves may have caused some dissolved CO2 to come out of solution (kind of like when you shake carbonated beer). If this was the case, then my beer was not at risk of oxidation.

Is this reasonable? Am I just thinking too hard?

L

Back