Simplifying the skeeter pee recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I made a small batch of this once before without any problems, only difference is i used a fermentation stopper and fining agents. This time I will make it even more simple and would love to hear any opinions on what I could do differently, keeping within my concept of minimal ingredients.

Ingredients:
2.8 litres lemon concentrate
3kg sugar
17 litres tap water
200ml apple juice

So the plan is to make a starter with 200ml apple juice and a tablespoon of sugar, then next day pour the liquid into the fermenter with half the lemon concentrate/2kg of the sugar and keep it around 25-30*C. Then add some more apple juice/sugar back to the starter, and again pour the liquid in the next day giving a rapid stir to add more oxigen. Will keep the starter's sedement in the fridge as a backup.

After a week or so, depending on how it goes I will add the rest of the lemon and the last kilo of sugar and leave it till it's ready. I know skeeter pee takes a while especially without nutrients and so on so I expect will be about 3 weeks start to finish.

What do you guys think? I've heard a lot of people having problems with skeeter pee because of the acid in the lemon but this is way more than I did on my small batch before and that worked fine so I feel hopeful.

Any opinions, positive or criticism are very welcome :)

I recently finished a batch and had no problems. The only change I made was to only add half the original lemon juice (to keep the acidity down) until it has been fermenting for a couple days then add the other half. Everything went great.

I recently finished a batch and had no problems. The only change I made was to only add half the original lemon juice (to keep the acidity down) until it has been fermenting for a couple days then add the other half. Everything went great.

Did you use wine finings or anything like that or just drink it unfiltered?

Yes, I used the standard recipe (found at www.skeeterpee.com) which uses Sparkolloid. It's came out crystal clear.

Yeah I also saw this recipe but there are just too many ingredients. I wanna make mine with as few as possible and if possible only with stuff you can find in the super market. I'd love to clarify it but then I have to also have stabilisers and too much stuff... Hope it will be ok without clearing...

Yeah I also saw this recipe but there are just too many ingredients. I wanna make mine with as few as possible and if possible only with stuff you can find in the super market. I'd love to clarify it but then I have to also have stabilisers and too much stuff... Hope it will be ok without clearing...

If money is the issue, I think I spent $15 on the juice, sugar, and water...$10 on chemicals/supplies...$24 on bottles and $8 on corks. The chemicals/supplies still have a ton left and the bottles are reusable so effectively the cost is about $25 maybe.

Back