Simple one valve for hot and cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheFlyBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am installing a sink in my garage brewery. I have commercial faucet with sprayer for the sink itself. My plan is to plumb hot and cold to the sink, but then I want to continue both the hot and cold water lines past the sink towards my brewing table.

I will have garden hose fittings for both the hot and cold lines. The cold I will use to supply my immersion wort chiller. The hot will mostly be used for cleaning the equipment. After the lines supply the sink and prior to the garden hose fittings, I will have ball shut-off valves.

Finally, I have thought about adding a line that connects the hot & cold lines with a gate valve (or similar throttling valve) prior to the two ball valves. In this way I can open one ball valve, and turn the gate valve to mix hot and cold water to my desired temperature.

In the attached diagram, the gate valve is open with the ball valve ion the hot line open.

Is this a bad idea, or any reason it won't work?

Plumbing 2.jpg

A faucet of some kind would give you better control of flow and temperature and with the cost of decent valves is probably about the same cost.
Accidently leaving that mixing valve on seems like it could have undesirable effects.

A faucet of some kind would give you better control of flow and temperature and with the cost of decent valves is probably about the same cost.
Accidently leaving that mixing valve on seems like it could have undesirable effects.

i agree with the potential problems. After thinking about it, I could have some back flow into the rest of the house. I would have to have at least two one way valves to prevent that.

Maybe one of those single handle shower valves, you could solder on whatever connections you need to attach your plumbing of choice.

Latest posts

Back