EVA barrier line with compression sleeves/ferrules?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
Any reason to not use 1/4” compression sleeves or ferrules along with a compression nut to attach 3mm x 6.5mm EVABarrier tubing to a typical angle stop valve with 1/4” compression fitting? I want to replace the braided stainless hose with PVC liner that feeds my refrigerator from an angle stop valve underneath my kitchen sink. The hose is 20’ long and is behind my cabinets. Taste has been an issue with the dispenser water and I think the pvc braided hose is the culprit. I’d ideally use copper but there’s 90 degree bend that will be an issue for installation. I figure just fish the EVA tube with the old braided line and be good to go. Any concerns with longevity? Should I go with PEX instead?

Cheers 🍻

Compression fittings work by the ferule digging in to the tubing...doesn't work too well with plastics. Might I suggest an alternative? :
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/flarem14xfnpt14.htm
or
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/flarem14xmnpt14.htm
..and:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...mm-monotight-connector-duotight-shank.730515/
Just a thought.
:mug:
Thanks for the links and insights. The angle stop threads are male though in order to accept female threaded hoses. Also figured instead of brass ring could use a plastic one instead.

IMG_8869.jpeg

IMG_8870.jpeg

I don't think that compression and flare fittings use the same thread size. (I could be wrong there though.) You might be able to find a compression to NPT and then go NPT to PTC. Or you may find compression to PTC. Depends a bit on how your line is currently run and accessible. You could potentially cut in a new line easily somewhere else if the branch line is accessible, like a basement. Also depends on what material it is. Pex would be easy, copper not too bad with a sharkbite or other PTC for copper. 1/2" NPT is a common denominator at times or some other NPT size. Fishing anything through is going to depend on the path as you mentioned and then what size holes may have been used for the braided line. Pex is flexible but sometimes difficult for more than two holes, like having to drop down a bay with a fire break in the way. I used to curse those things until I learned they were for safety! A cone shape over the pex tubing end helps to pull it through the holes.

Just an anecdote. When I replaced my water supply lines, I went to pex. I noticed an off flavor for the water coming out of the fridge. The water tasted different on the new supply line that was pex to the fridge supply line. The taste was different than the older pex line to the kitchen faucet. I felt it was the result of water sitting in the pex line perhaps and perhaps that the line was new. I switched it to copper off the main pex line and the flavor went away. It may have eventually went away. I think it would have but I wasn't going to drink it for however long it took! It's a common material for supply lines so I think it was just the low volume of water initially.

Well, I found some parts on Zoro.com as well as used the 3mm ID by 6.35mm OD (.125”x.25”) EVAbarrier tubing and everything seems to be working fine with no leaks. Water taste is much improved.
IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_8965.jpeg
IMG_8963.jpeg
IMG_8964.jpeg

Back