Sight Glass in Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billr1

Reaction score
I'm in the planning process for a single tier, 3-keggle eHERMS build and could use a bit (well, actually, a ton of) advice. I was planning on putting sight glasses on all three vessels but just got to thinking, is it pointless (and possibly even a really bad idea) to put one on the MLT? I would imagine there might be issues with grains clogging it up and causing a really difficult mess to clean (which could of course lead to sanitation issues). And the only good reason for having one that I can think of is measuring strike water - and that can be done just as easily by noting how much is pumped from the HLT where it's heated.
So is there some reason I would want a sight glass on my MLT that I'm not thinking of or is it just a bad idea to put one on?

I don't have one on my MLT for the reasons you stated. Just use the site glass on your HLT to determine how much strike and sparge water you'll be using. KISS. :mug:

And KIC too! (Keep It Cheap - well... cheaper than it would have been otherwise anyway)

I heat my water in my sight glass so I decided I wanted a sight glass. Also, I have previously collapsed my false bottom, but with the sight glass connection under the false bottom, if the grain bed ever sticks, rather than collapse the false bottom, is starts to suck the liquid out of the sight glass. Makes for an easy way to see that you're sticking. If it ever stuck completely, it would just suck air instead of ruining a $100 FB.
As far as grain getting stuck, there's not much causing liquid to circulate through it (but again mine is below the FB). Even doing a stout, the water in the glass is clear with some tinting at the bottom. And that's with a continual recirculating mash.

I used to have a sight glass in my old MLT. I liked it for only one reason- when I fly sparged, I could see if my level was staying the same as I pumped the water from the HLT to it, and the wort to the BK. If the level didn't change at all, I knew my pumps were exactly right.

When I got a bigger MLT (a keg), I didn't add it. Since it was only useful in one way, I didn't feel that it would be an important addition.

I have one in my mash tun for visual uniformity (OCD) and for the sparging reason Yooper mentioned. I have a cheap gun cleaning kit that I use to clean the tube when I'm done. As far as sanitation, it's not a huge issue, you'll be boiling it anyway.

Back