Sierra Nevada Summerfest Poll

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeadsBrewing

Reaction score
I may be biased to the more hoppy side of things, but I'm just not impressed with this year's SN Summerfest. How about the rest of you; like it or not and why?

My opinion: for a lager, which is decidedly not my favorite style, it's a little bland. What makes me even more conflicted about this brew is that it seems to have some harsh aftertaste. Not sure what it is, but for a lager I expect more of a smooth finish and light body.

I haven't had it this year but I liked it last year.

It was definitely not hoppy whatsoever and it was a little bland and thin. I thought it had a decent malt backbone and good balance. A little bit of lemon flavor and overall pretty refreshing after mowing the lawn.

Then again I'm not a hophead, although I've been enjoying increasingly hoppy beers. My tastes evolve so much that I'll be interested to try this again this year.

I've had it & think it fits the lager style it tries to be, just not all that well. Don't try to think of it as a pale ale. IMO it's not supposed to have much hop flavor.

I'd give it a C+ overall.

It's a good example of what it is intended to be. I had some at Brews & Blooms last weekend, didn't notice any harshness, although it was a bit green.

For how much I love all of their other beers, the SN Summerfest is a beer I just plain don't like too much. It could be just how I feel about the style

I like it, but then again I like German style pilsners (the kind you get in Germany, not Becks or St Pauli!)

This is a style that many micros don't attempt because of the extra aging requirements. Imports are bland and spoiled tasting, so SN Summerfest is one of the few times I get to drink this style that reminds me of some of the pilsners I had in Germany.

I like it- I think it's a well-made, lighter summer beer. Wouldn't drink it all the time, but then, I don't have to.

Bought a 6 pack of it last night. Sat down to drink the first and was disappointed. I have decided lagers arent my favorite style but this one I didnt think was even good for the style. I drank 4 of the 6 basically to get rid of them otherwise I'll have to chuck them before I move.

Let's resurrect...

I made a mistake this week...

I thought that SN Summerfest was a German Pils in line Victory Prima Pils or SA Noble Pils...

I love SN PA and Torpedo and figured they would do a good hoppy version of a German pils.

I picked 2 6ers since they were on sale for 7.99.

Well it is a Czech pils and there is a harsh hop bitterness in the end but not much flavor/aroma.

I feel like I bought a 12 of Pabst for $16.

Not a fan.

Will I drink it Yes. But I wish I would ahve bought 2 6ers of Torpedo instead.

Edit: Thought this was in the Commercial Brew Discussion.

I'll buck the trend and express my continuing love for this beer. Seems as though many posters who don't like it prefer the other SN offerings (Torpedo, Pale Ale, etc.), which are of course wonderful, but powerfully aromatic and bitter in their own right.

Judging objectively, and especially against other lagers (Bitburger, Warsteiner, Grolsch), I think it stands apart as a uniquely American summer lager that can be thrown back with abandon or sipped as the drinker prefers. A solid B on the school grading scale. It's also a significant contributor to my empty bottle stock.

To each his/her own. Brew on. :mug:

Hey man why you dissin? As a fellow Chicoan Im disappointed.

No really though what do you expect from a lager? This is not Germany. But I do think they would be better off bottling the Kolsch or the blonde as the summer beer.

I had this beer on tap and thought it was wonderful, so I bought a 6 pack of it. It was so much better on tap than in the bottle. If you've only had it in bottle and don't think it's very good, I could see why, but having it on tap was much better

Had it on tap and it was ok - would say a B-. Not enough going on in this beer up front To distinguish it from the crowd IMO. That said, I'd order it again if left with few choices on the menu.

Not a big fan of it. Picked up a 6 pack over the weekend along with SN's Pale Ale (one of my favorites). Not comparing the two, just that the Summerfest didn't do it for me.

I think it's a decent bohemian pilsner.... Nothing special, but pleasantly drinkable on a hot day. I'd buy it again, but with a few other microbrewed Czech/bohemian pils next to it on the shelf (lagunita's and summit come to mind) maybe not anytime soon.

i had it a couple weeks ago, and it seems to be somewhat bland, as if they were trying for a lawnmower. it had just enough flavor so i didn't dump it out, but i won't be buying it (didn't that time; someone brought it over)

Back