Sierra Nevada Pale Ale recipe on website

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myndflyte

Reaction score
Not sure if this was common knowledge but Sierra Nevada has posted a 5 gallon recipe of their Pale Ale on their website: https://sierranevada.com/beer/year-round/pale-ale

You may have to plug it into some brewing software to see where the IBUs end up falling as they may be using leaf hops instead of pellets. Also they don't specify what yeast they are using but at least it gives a good starting point to try and clone it.

"pitch with California ale yeast, AKA Chico ale yeast"

They are famous as the source of Chico/WLP001/US-05 - inevitably the commercial versions will have diverged slightly from their strain but it's close enough.

I brewed a snpa "clone" a few years back. Recipe was a bit different if I remember right, didn't taste quite right. Might have to give this one a shot this spring. Thanks for sharing!

When I plug this into BrewersFriend, I am getting an IBU of 87. I wonder if they are counting the 30 min addition?

"pitch with California ale yeast, AKA Chico ale yeast"

They are famous as the source of Chico/WLP001/US-05 - inevitably the commercial versions will have diverged slightly from their strain but it's close enough.

Some cool info on how their yeast came to be, in the middle of this interview with Steve Dresler, original brewmaster at SN. The writer of this interview is so awesome ;)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/brewmaster-interview-steven-dresler-sierra-nevada.html

I brewed three clone versions and none were close. Bittering was off even though it was close to what SNPA is. The flavor wasn't close.
And if I recall, I think SNPA uses cascade leaf hops. Thought I read that somewhere.
I may give this one another go. Seems to me like they would DH. They must use more gypsum in their water to give it that hop bite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back