New England IPA Sierra Nevada Fantastic Haze Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

day_trippr

The Central Scruuuutinizer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
LAIII (WY1318)
Yeast Starter
5L (overbuilt)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days, ramping from 64°F after 4 days to 68°F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 68°F
Additional Fermentation
Cold crashed to 36°F for two days
Tasting Notes
Close to the prototype :) Amped up hop characters that play very well together riding on a solid malt backbone.
I had this beer in cans bought from a grocery up in New Hampshire - my local package store doesn't carry that specific SN beer - and thought it was very good, definitely worthy of a clone attempt.

1616035389737.png

When I got back home I checked out the Sierra Nevada site and noted they are quite free with listing ingredients - they just don't provide proportions. Or the yeast strain. But that's ok - gotta leave us some challenge! :)

1616028288699.png

1616028246152.png

I basically went with a basic neipa style grain bill with flaked adjuncts, and added some carapils to hold onto some body. For the hops, I've used a ton of Chinook and Amarillo over the years and always have some of each on hand, but had never used Azacca, Idaho 7, or Strata, and of those had only tasted Azacca before. Finally, for the yeast, I went with good old LAIII. So there was plenty of uncertainty involved, but what the heck, couldn't go far off the rails, right?

So, here's the first attempt. The actual numbers are pretty close to spec, and I've been drinking it for a few days now and the experience is very close. And likely to stay that way - if there's a "difference" it'd likely be the hop schedule, and as I have no idea what Idaho 7 or Strata taste like on their own, any changes would be a "Try this and see what happens" :) So I may just stick with this recipe...

Cheers!

ps: Finished Water ppms: Calcium 84, Sulfate 149, Chloride 91, Magnesium 8, Sodium 21.
fantastic_haze.jpg

1616035532545.png

Last edited:
This grain bill got me 11 gallons of 1.076 into the fermenter.
BIAB double crushed courtesy of Brew Hardware.
I omitted the sugar unintentionally and substituted Mosaic for the Strata because of availability.
Contradicting shipping information from MoreBeer left me no option other than to pitch a single 11g pack of Voss that had been kicking around the fridge for an indeterminate amount of time and figure out how to hold 11 gallons at hold at high temperature.
Pitched at 100f and holding at 92f.

24 hours later my basement smells of oranges, the gravity is reading 1.030 and it tastes great.
I just dumped the first round of dry hops because, well, what the H E double hockey sticks as Radar used to say.

Thanks for sharing.

Finished at 1.016
I have never had fantastic haze but the description of mango, melon and citrus is spot on.
The citrus is a bit forward but that may be a product of the yeast I used.

Looking forward to brewing it again without substitutions. I may still leave out the sugar. 7.86% is fine by me and I don't feel it needs to dry out any. Maybe with a different yeast, say 05 I may need the sugar?

Thanks again for taking the time to post the your recipe.

20210422_174801.jpg

Might brew this soon as I have some Strata I want try for the first time.
Anyone else brew it or did you do a re-brew and change anything?

Will have to sub the Azacca and Idaho 7 with Citra and El Dorado though but that's OK as I know those hops well and will hopefully be to detect what the Strata bring to the party better. Plus I've never tried the original so I'm not expecting to have a 100% clone.

Hey guys! What is a good substitutions for the yeast London ale III? Here in my country is only available classic from lallemand and fermentos like New England, verdant ipa, London esb and another.
Waiting for your recommendations!
thanks

Hey guys! What is a good substitutions for the yeast London ale III? Here in my country is only available classic from lallemand and fermentos like New England, verdant ipa, London esb and another.
Waiting for your recommendations!
thanks
imperial a38
Escarpment labs foggy Ale
Omega O11
London FOG
Verdant
Giga yeast - British haze.

There are a few others I can’t think of at the moment but those are all genetic equivalent or variants of 1318

Back