Sierra ESB Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlap

Reaction score
I'm extreamly happy with the way this turned out and figured I'd share the recipe with my HBT friends (and google searchers). I put it together based on the specs SN lists on this page. I didn't have any extra Challenger for dry hopping so I ended up using Crystal instead (which I love for aroma). This made my aroma slightly different but the color, taste, and bitterness are spot on.

Here's the side by side comparison, mine's on the left.
esb%20clone.jpg

Here's the recipe...

[size=+2]Sierra Nevada ESB Clone[/size]
[size=+1]8-C Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)[/size]

11.jpg

Size: 4.9 gal
Efficiency: 73.26%
Attenuation: 83.2%
Calories: 202.2 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.061 (1.048 - 1.060)
|=========================#======|
Terminal Gravity: 1.010 (1.010 - 1.016)
|========#=======================|
Color: 11.8 (6.0 - 18.0)
|===============#================|
Alcohol: 6.72% (4.6% - 6.2%)
|=============================#==|
Bitterness: 51.54 (30.0 - 50.0)
|=========================#======|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
3 lbs Maris Otter Pale
8 lbs American 2-row
1 lbs Crystal Malt 40°L
1 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Challenger (8.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
1 oz Crystal (3.2%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/size]

Huh. I have tons of 2-Row, Challenger, and Cara 40. And, I love ESB as it turns out. I think I know what's on deck, after I get Lake Walk done.

shlap, if you're following this thread at all any more, could you comment on how the taste turned out using the us-56 yeast? i'm presuming that SN uses that yeast on this (it is THEIR yeast, after all). maybe what i'm really wondering about is how the SN ESB compares to an ESB made in england. i have an ESB planned for this weekend and i made a starter for it with wyeast 1968 "london ESB". everything i've read really emphasizes the need for an english yeast strain to get the flavor right. anyone had both SN ESB and an english ESB to compare? any comments?

@SeñorWanderer - To be fair : SN's is called a "Early Spring Beer". It is similar to what we call an ESB, but it is not necessarily "to style" or anything. I would assume that, for this reason, they didn't worry about using a proper British yeast.

In fact, I kind of like lighter English beers done with a more neutral yeast -- why? Because it makes them british hops more delicious.

Anyone able to convert this into extract/steep? I know the crystal and hop schedule would remain the same. I have access to fresh extra pale, amber, dark, munich, and wheat LME. I'm thinking.. what.. 7 lbs pale and a pound of something else to sub for the maris otter, either extract or steeping grain? Anyone have any input?
Thinking I might brew this up in a week or two to have ready for mass consumption by valentines day or so.

Anyone able to convert this into extract/steep? I know the crystal and hop schedule would remain the same. I have access to fresh extra pale, amber, dark, munich, and wheat LME. I'm thinking.. what.. 7 lbs pale and a pound of something else to sub for the maris otter, either extract or steeping grain? Anyone have any input?
Thinking I might brew this up in a week or two to have ready for mass consumption by valentines day or so.

Well I am going to give this PM recipe a try. Please STOP me if you see something you don't like. (I learned a little about PPG and Extract to Grain conversion trying to come up with this recipe)

5# LME
2# Maris Otter pale Malt
1# Crystal 40L

Mash the MO with Crystal at 156 degrees for 45 minutes and sparge. (I am using the 2 gallon Igloo method for the PM)

60 min - 1 oz Northern Brewer Hops (I can't get my hands on any Challenger at my LHBS)

15 min - 1 oz Northern Brewer

5 min - 1 oz Kent Goldings

Dry Hop with 1 oz Crystal Hops

Was thinking of going with the standard 1056 yeast, but I am liking the British Ale yeasts so I think I will try one of those instead.

Target O.G. - 1.064
Target F.G. - 1.017
SRM - 11
IBU - 52

(Cooking, Processes and Math = I freagin LOVE it!)

* (edited to allow me to only have to buy 1 package of N. Brewer and bring my IBUs more in line with the target ale)

I brewed a 5 gallon batch this last weekend and hit my gravity numbers, but couldn't get my mash temp down below 153. It will be a little sweeter, but that's alright because it has a lot of bitterness. I pitched at 68F on Sunday afternoon and then this morning almost three days later I woke up to yeast in my airlock in a 6 gallon better bottle. The US-05 absolutely LOVES this wort and I'm fermenting at 65F! Thankfully the beer Gods shined on me and it didn't blow off, but I had a TON of pressure when I popped the bung.

I can't wait to see how this one turns out. The wort tasted fantastic going into the fermenter.

Nope, they discontinued it last year and replaced it with Glissade. It's a shame because their ESB was fantastic. Crisp, bitter and nice earthy hop aroma; it was a great Spring beer.

Back