Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a label I'm working on for tall boy cans. Just getting started on designing labels, but it's pretty damn fun:

y9kmNvy.png

The site I found in a search just happened to have that pic. But I also look for royalty-free pics to do my book covers as well. So it'll come in handy down the road...

Check this out... all royalty free, since the creator will never see your label and try to sue you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pic...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI28H07JvbxwIV2BuSCh1YdAEl

And Royalty fee doesn't mean you won't get sued anyways. You still have to buy the image and follow it's license restrictions. But you'll never get sued for using any image on your bottles anyways, the most a company would do if they somehow found out about your few bottles and they cared for some reason, would be to send you a letter saying not to use it.

And Royalty fee doesn't mean you won't get sued anyways. You still have to buy the image and follow it's license restrictions. But you'll never get sued for using any image on your bottles anyways, the most a company would do if they somehow found out about your few bottles and they cared for some reason, would be to send you a letter saying not to use it.

In my publishing experiences thus far, if the picture is in the public domain without restrictions listed with it or on the site, they can't sue you for using it.

Yeah, if they are in the public domain and without restrictions. But that's different than royalty free. Either way you are fine in the real world as long as you don't sell it or spread it to thousands of people.

So, I didn't do the art for this label, but I did brew the beer :)

It was a collaboration with a college artist buddy - created in memoriam for a good friend of ours who recently passed.

Two cases served last weekend - some at the East Coast Reunion, and some at the West Coast reunion - all connected by a big-screen Skype session. Simultaneous toast!

Beer and label very well received.

labeled.jpg

In my publishing experiences thus far, if the picture is in the public domain without restrictions listed with it or on the site, they can't sue you for using it.

When I worked for FedEx Office (Kinko's), my understanding from our training was that a piece of art did not have to have a copyright statement or symbol. It is always the intellectual property of the creator, unless they have sold the rights. For us to photocopy art, we had to have a form filled out that stated that the person making the copies was the artist, copyright owner, or has the permission of the copyright owner, with a signature and date. Otherwise we could not make a copy or assist someone in the self-service area to make a copy. I can't tell you how many people got pissed off because I couldn't help them photocopy recipe books, art from a postcard, a piece of art that someone gave them that they wanted copied (but couldn't get in touch with the artist), etc.

I believe there are some exceptions if certain things are going to be used for personal use only, like a couple of recipes for use in your own residence. But if you copied someone's art and put it on a beer bottle and then distributed it around to friends. even if you didn't charge for it, *technically* it's illegal. But then sometimes, people just take a calculated risk and figure nobody is going to turn them in.

When I worked for FedEx Office (Kinko's), my understanding from our training was that a piece of art did not have to have a copyright statement or symbol. It is always the intellectual property of the creator, unless they have sold the rights. For us to photocopy art, we had to have a form filled out that stated that the person making the copies was the artist, copyright owner, or has the permission of the copyright owner, with a signature and date. Otherwise we could not make a copy or assist someone in the self-service area to make a copy. I can't tell you how many people got pissed off because I couldn't help them photocopy recipe books, art from a postcard, a piece of art that someone gave them that they wanted copied (but couldn't get in touch with the artist), etc.

I believe there are some exceptions if certain things are going to be used for personal use only, like a couple of recipes for use in your own residence. But if you copied someone's art and put it on a beer bottle and then distributed it around to friends. even if you didn't charge for it, *technically* it's illegal. But then sometimes, people just take a calculated risk and figure nobody is going to turn them in.
Well, being reworked on my amazon/kindle book covers, no one's come at me so far for copyright infringement. Not making enough to be worth the effort, possibly? but no copy right was inferred or listed, so they can't do much.

Well, being reworked on my amazon/kindle book covers, no one's come at me so far for copyright infringement. Not making enough to be worth the effort, possibly? but no copy right was inferred or listed, so they can't do much.

Mmm...but it could just be leaving it out there for someone to stumble across and wipe out what little but you DO make. Unless it is considered stock images in the public domain and offered as such specifically, you might just want to consult someone that is a professional lawyer, fluent in copyright law (whom I am not). Homebrew labels are pretty low risk...what will they do? Confiscate the six pack you have left and order a cease and desist? I would be a but more concerned about something I was marketing and from which I was making a profit. I'm probably just paranoid because we actually used to have big lawsuits against Kinko's and people working for publishers would actually come in and try to get us to copy something we weren't supposed to copy, and then sue the company for big money.

Yeah, no copyright needs to be listed or inferred on the image. I have heaps of photos online and I don't care who uses them and I've never officially put a copyright symbol or anything on them but technically if Steven King put one on a book cover I could still sue him for some $. But most images floating around most people don't care if they're re-used, and esp. if it's just some homebrew or a not popular book. But I'm guessing if your book makes the cover of Time magazine someone will come after you

Some fantastic labels hear!!! I took some items from different labels to make a template that I can easily change colors based on image dropped in. Will probably change the drinking beer warning to something a little more smart ass, since I can be that way sometimes!

"Who run Barleytown?"

Back