Prices for yeast and other items

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or not, but here goes. Reading the updates on another thread I posted got me thinking. I should probably check prices and see what buying larger quantities might get me. So, I started with yeast as that is the easiest to store. I realized something that I had not really paid attention to in the past. At least in my memory, the S05 that I have used quite often has gone up in price. I seem to remember it being around 3.50 or so a packet the last time I used it. Now, Morebeer has it about about 5.50 a packet or so. Granted, not much of an increase in the scope of things, but I wonder how much other items have gone up as well. Will this break my bank? No. But I just noticed it and thought I would post to see what you all thought and where you get your supplies that might be a bit easier on the wallet. I use Morebeer simply because they have been fast, have all the items I have been looking for and shipping is free over I think it is 50 bucks or so. This realisation might get me off my butt to try and harvest yeast just to see how I can do it, or look for bulk buys on certain items like dry yeast that can be kept and not affect the fridge space. Not sure if this is even going to be much of a discussion, but thought I would throw it out there to see what you all thought.

Liquid yeast has gone up a lot in price since I started brewing as well. When I started brewing a vial of White Labs or smack pack of Wyeast was $8. Wyeast is now $10, while White Labs, Imperial and Omega are around $15. The latter three include more cells, designed to not need a starter for most styles. That justifies the increase to an extent.

If you brew a lot there are things you can do.

Plan your batches out so you have multiple brews using the same yeast. Make the lowest gravity one first, then harvest yeast from that into your next batch or batches. A yeast cake in a sanitized jar will keep for a few weeks after harvesting in a fridge.

I’ve also had success overbuilding starters and saving some yeast. The only downside is if you don’t brew enough, you’ll end up with jars of old yeast that will take forever to prop back up again.

I have one house blend that I’ll overbuild and harvest the starter from twice a year to keep it fresh. Then I’ll make 2-3 brews with it.

Anything other than that, I’ll just buy a fresh packet if I need a a different strain. I don’t brew enough to keep multiple house strains going, and I’m too lazy to feed them like a sourdough starter.

Latest posts

Back