Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is mine.

The clear fir collar is attached to the lid using liquid nails.

I plan on taking the 20lb. Co2 tank out of the keezer when I have the time to drill the holes etc.

All Perlick 525's except the stout faucet and the root beer which is a 425 (no reason, I got it as a gift prior to hearing about the 525's).

The stout tap is not hooked up yet.

If I had to do it over, I would avoid a freezer with the fancy electronic control panel that mine has. I had to "jack up" the speaker to get the alarm to be nearly unnoticeable now. I still want to work on/bypass that alarm.

I have more pics of the entire assembly process that I will post in the next few days if anyone is interested.

The key to a project like this is having a VERY cool wife. In fact she pushed me to get the stout faucet and bought a couple of the other faucets as birthday gifts.

No, Phil Knight did not finance this Oregon Duck project.

Yes, the helmets are arranged in order of the 2009 Pac-10 final standings.

IMG_2227k.jpg

IMG_2238.jpg

IMG_2243.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

I forgot to mention that the helmets are held to the keezer with magnets that fit perfectly inside the helmets. They fit so tight that I didn't even need to use glue. This works great because when I raise the keezer lid, the helmets don't move at all.

The magnets were purchased at Home Depot and they are designed to hold tools to pegboard. You can find them near all the other peg board accessories.

Why do I feel that there is about a dozen SEC fans that are grabbing their wallets and car keys at this very moment?

Could we get some shots of the inside? My 8 keg kegerator is an unholy mess of tubing, I'm curious how you handled 10 taps.

Thanks for the kind words.

I will have answers to the questions late tonight. I gotta head out to work now.

About the inside, it is still not organized (that is the next step). The manifold is just laying loose at the current time.

The good news is that I am not a carpenter and was able to do all of this except cut the 45's and nail the box together. My boss came over for a couple of hours and did that part for me.

You see, if you brew beer you always have something to offer in return and he has and will continue to get plenty of samples!

I bought this fridge without considering the available space for the kegs. When I got it home, the only thing that fit was the CO2 tank. It was a good thing that I only spent $20--I would not get that upset if I broke the thing trying to make room. I was able to carefully bend the evaporator out of the way, and can now fit 2 kegs with the the CO2 tank. Barely. Changing the insulation from corrugated cardboard to fiberglass makes this get colder. The dial used to have be set on 10 out of 12 to get to 38 degrees, but now I keep it between 1 and 2.

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Finishedkegerator.jpg

IMG_3682.jpg

The paint is a glossy enamel--safety red was the color. I primed the outside with spray primer, and rolled the enamel on. It took 3 coats to get good coverage. Got the paint at Sherwin Williams.

For all you keezer owners:

I see some pictures have the collar mounted so that when you open the keezer, it lifts the collar up. And some have it mounted so just the actual freezer lid lifts up and sits on top of the collar. What are the pros and cons to either approach?

For all you keezer owners:

I see some pictures have the collar mounted so that when you open the keezer, it lifts the collar up. And some have it mounted so just the actual freezer lid lifts up and sits on top of the collar. What are the pros and cons to either approach?

Collar and lid lift
PROS: Keezer is less "deep" (which means easier to reach bottom for cleaning). Easier to lift in kegs due to less height. Don't have to lift kegs around taps and hoses.
CONS: More difficult to build (especially if you are worried about being able to return the freezer to normal use).

See my Keezer Build for how I built my collar for an idea on the difficulty.

Collar and lid lift
PROS: Keezer is less "deep" (which means easier to reach bottom for cleaning). Easier to lift in kegs due to less height. Don't have to lift kegs around taps and hoses.
CONS: More difficult to build (especially if you are worried about being able to return the freezer to normal use).

See my Keezer Build for how I built my collar for an idea on the difficulty.

Thanks! I didnt even think about the taps being out of the way. That in itself decides it for me.

That red GE is a thing of beauty! Very nice restoration and love the exposed hinges. That thing oozes class. Fitting that it was made two years after prohibition was repealed and you have it being used as a kegerator.

Nice how wide is that thing to hold 10 taps?

Dimensions:
Height: 35 in.
Depth: 29-1/2 in.
Width: 61-1/4 in.

The dimensions listed above are factory dimensions tht don't include the collar. This chest freezer is deep (tall) enough to hold corny kegs without a collar, which is nice because you can use picnic taps until you find the time to build a collar.

Here is a link with some info. on this freezer and here is another link

Like I said, I would get one without an alarm and electronic control panel if I had the chance to do it over.

Love the vintage red kegerator, Stevesmirks.

I keep trying to find something similar, but everyone wants an arm and a leg for those old fridges. Sounds like you got quite the deal!

I forgot to mention that the helmets are held to the keezer with magnets that fit perfectly inside the helmets. They fit so tight that I didn't even need to use glue. This works great because when I raise the keezer lid, the helmets don't move at all.

The magnets were purchased at Home Depot and they are designed to hold tools to pegboard. You can find them near all the other peg board accessories.

Why do I feel that there is about a dozen SEC fans that are grabbing their wallets and car keys at this very moment?
I take whatever is in the third from the left. Must be some good stuff! ;)

Good God. He's 20 - not like a middle school kid. And how do we know he's actually drinking the beer? For all we know he could be embarking on a life of kegerator craftsmanship - doing this for his friends, and while others are enjoying the contents (and enjoying's a stretch, if that's actually Miller Lite in there) he could be enjoying a diet soda, chastely refusing beer until he's 21. (Which, for all we know, could be tomorrow.)

Lighten up, folks. The title of the thread's "Show us your kegerator" not "judge people who post".

I'm not sure anyone in here can determine whether this young man of 20 doing anything illegal. Since in some stats as long as your at home and it's with parent permission children can drink. 16 to drive and 18 to vote & die for country, but 21 to drink is might be the law doesn't make it right. Some states parents can take thier kids into bars to drink.....

So before anyone jumps up on a soap box let's just understand we might not have all the facts and making assumptions only does one thing...........

in order to get this discussion back on track...

I just pick up one of these, only thing is mine is brass and has 9 handles on it...got this, two handles, 12 beer mugs for $100

I am planning on using it on my next keezer...was this a good buy for $100?

beertowers.jpg

I just pick up one of these, only thing is mine is brass and has 9 handles on it...got this, two handles, 12 beer mugs for $100

beertowers.jpg

Nope, you got a terrible deal. Send it to me and I'll reimburse your hundo and since I'm a nice guy I'll pay shipping and let you keep the handles and beer mugs.

:D:D:D

beertowers.jpg
Monty, I don't know you. I've never met you.

But God, I hate you.

:D

lol, I knew that would produce some hate

and yes, it came with everything, all I need to do is screw in the tap handles, connect the lines...and it's beer 30

/once I pick up the keezer of course

I will try and post a pic of the one I got tonight

I was feeling pretty cocky about my new twin taper until I saw this. Dude - that is some serious hardware!

beertowers.jpg

Back