Show Me Your Wood Brew Sculpture/Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another,I brewed yesterday an Amber ale and a pale ale

1401136783781.jpg

Nothing fancy but I'd like to contribute. The structure will hold an e-herms in the near future (just need to assemble). ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404152533.443379.jpgi cut the dolly in half length ways to give the base a wider stance. The camera angle makes the wheels look closer together than they really are. I can barely make it tip when I out my full weight on it, and it'll only be holding 5g batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is mine. About 80% done I would say.
I will replace the plywood on the lower level with a piece that actually fits, lol, that was just thrown down to put stuff on.
Also will deck all the surfaces with plywood, paint it all black and red, and add some diamond plate accents.

photo-1-61865.jpg

10453704_1501625706733744_1310905303_n.jpg

all done

Converted BFD Brewhaus to natural gas...I'm done with 20 lb LP cans...

You've got copper fittings screwed into galvanized fittings. You're going to have corrosion problems and eventual leaks. You need to install some dielectric unions wherever copper lines join galvanized lines. Or just get rid of the galvanized pipe altogether.

You've got copper fittings screwed into galvanized fittings. You're going to have corrosion problems and eventual leaks. You need to install some dielectric unions wherever copper lines join galvanized lines. Or just get rid of the galvanized pipe altogether.

Thanks for the advice! The pipe is actually black iron...and I believe the brass fitting between the copper and the black iron should minimize corrosion...but I'll keep an eye on it!
Thanks again...

Thanks for the advice! The pipe is actually black iron...and I believe the brass fitting between the copper and the black iron should minimize corrosion...but I'll keep an eye on it!

Thanks again...

He may be talking about the line coming off the pump. Surely to God thats stainless and not galvanized! I hope and pray you aren't running wort that you plan to ferment and drink through galvanized pipe.

He may be talking about the line coming off the pump. Surely to God thats stainless and not galvanized! I hope and pray you aren't running wort that you plan to ferment and drink through galvanized pipe.

Uhmmm...yeah...no...no galvanized pipe at all...especially not in contact with the wort!:eek:

I was talking about this picture specifically:

210996d1405298860-show-me-your-wood-brew-sculpture-rig-dsc_4061c.jpg

Two of the connections to that T are brass, which is fine, but the third connection looks like it's just a copper fitting.

That T looks like a regular galvanized T, not black iron. But either way, I don't think that copper should be connected directly to galvanized or black iron without a brass fitting in between.

I had planned on leaving on my deck, but the landlord threatened to evict me unless I removed it. I store it inside next to the door. I usually brew on Sundays now so they don't get offended by the stand.

Those castors are brilliant. I might have to steal that for my wooden single tier. I need it out the way and have been struggling with what to do with it. Tucked further in the corner would be great. It weighs a ton though. Not sure how easy standing it up would be. Any tips on getting it vertical?

Those castors are brilliant. I might have to steal that for my wooden single tier. I need it out the way and have been struggling with what to do with it. Tucked further in the corner would be great. It weighs a ton though. Not sure how easy standing it up would be. Any tips on getting it vertical?

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

Mine - still planning but using what I got. Haven't quite got the pump incorporated yet but hope to use it for various tasks like sparging, whirlpooling, etc.

img_20140717_143706a-63501.jpg

Mine isn't really hard to get vertical. Biggest problem is being sure to grab the 2x4's or 4x4's. I just squat, and stand up, then its mostly vertical.

I'll bet that's got a bit to do with the placement of the casters. If you look, the ones closest to the bottom aren't close to the edge. That means they won't contact the ground until it's close to upright.

10 gallon pot pumps to 10 gallon mash cooler and 5 gallon sparge tank. No more lifting!
\

I used a cheap 22$ pump that has plenty of umph to reach at least 6 ft of head. I use it to pump hot water mostly but I can pump wert also. The pump is food grade and temperature compatable (212f). I plan on putting a switch but he battery charger clamps make it easy to just clip on and the charger sits on the stand. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWORE5A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
My water filter is just hooked the a faucet for pressure, just restrict the flow slightly. RV drinking water hose, culligan filter housing, dupont carbon filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just built this guy today. It's the first of three independent platforms of what will be a 3 tiered system.

IMG_0310.jpg

Here is my wood stand.

It is knotty alder on a pine carcass with walnut oil/linseed oil and spar urethane. Done with hand tools, planes, handsaws etc...

Almost done. I just need to add a few more fittings and valves.

November- Brilliant woodworking skills!

This display of craftsmanship is the whole reason behind building a wood stand. Otherwise, just stack some milk crates.

Nice work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

November- Brilliant woodworking skills!

This display of craftsmanship is the whole reason behind building a wood stand. Otherwise, just stack some milk crates.

Nice work.

Thanks. It was easier and cheaper than most people might expect. The whole stand was about $250 and I used a handful of tools (miter saw, 28" rip saw, 26" crosscut saw, hand drill, 1" chisel, rasp, #6 fore plane, hammer, nail set, marking gauge). It was pretty easy, no crazy cuts or unusual techniques. Just took a while, about a month to build.

Sexxssqg zedsads

On tap: arrogant bastard clone no3
Primary 1 sublimely self-righteous clone no1

Primary 2 ginger lemon wit

1gal #1 arrogant bAstard with scorpion pepper

1 gal #2 self-righteous w/ *undecided*

I just finished my wood brew rig. 5 gal setup, with 2 cheap Chinese eBay pumps, homemade control panel and plate chiller. Test run next week!

image.jpg

Looks great. Can you enlighten us about the pumps?

Here is the forum for the pumps. It's a lot of info to weed through, but the last few pages have good info. They are food grade 12vdc pumps made in China that I purchased on eBay for $25 each. They don't have tapered threads, so I had to use a significant amount of Teflon tape to make the cam locks leak proof. Also, they aren't self priming. I did a test run with just water and so far so good.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-compact-wort-pump-375904/index89.html

The cam locks are 1/2" SS high flow from bargainfittings.com

Back