Should I turn the heat back on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zippox

Reaction score
I brewed the cottage house saison recipe with a scaled back OG to 1.055 instead of 1.062 by reducing the amount of grain. I used 3724 instead of 3711 and I have had it submerged in water with an aquarium heater set to about 83 for 8 whole weeks. It was actively fermenting (visually) until that 8 week mark where the yeast dropped out of suspension and things finally got really clear. After being clear for a week I turned the heat off. I let 2 more weeks go by and I just took a gravity reading and it is at 1.009. For that recipe it seems a bit high. Should I turn the heat back on up to 90 to see if it will ferment any more? If I did do that, would heating the beer up to 90 after fermentation has maybe completed going to give an off flavor? It tastes great now and I'd love to bottle it, I just don't want to br wrong and get bottle bombs because it wasn't actually done fermenting...

Back