Should I throw my beer away ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaulnes2

Reaction score
This morning I made a mistake while cooling my beer. I first sanitized the cooler (counter flow) during 5 minutes). Then, not to let it on a dirty surface, I dipped the extremity of the pipe in a jug containing sodium percabonate (~4g/liter). I didn't think to close the valve, thus when I turned the pump off, roughly half a liter was siphoned in my wort (~20 liters).
It means that my beer will contain 0.1 g of percarbonate per liter.
In the security notice, it is said that it is toxic when ingested but I cannot find the acceptable limit for a person.
Should I throw my beer away?

So the "jug" of sodium percarbonate was a solution of 4g per liter? And approx 1/2 liter is now in the beer? So maybe 2 grams in your 20 liter batch? Not sure if that's worth worrying about if those numbers are correct. I believe Sodium percarbonate is the same as baking soda?
And that is used in cooking? I think the danger posed by consuming alcohol is far greater than that small amount of sodium percarbonate, but that's just my 2 cents, take that and $6-8 and buy a pint at the pub and think it over before you dump it.
:tank:

So the "jug" of sodium percarbonate was a solution of 4g per liter? And approx 1/2 liter is now in the beer? So maybe 2 grams in your 20 liter batch? Not sure if that's worth worrying about if those numbers are correct. I believe Sodium percarbonate is the same as baking soda?
And that is used in cooking? I think the danger posed by consuming alcohol is far greater than that small amount of sodium percarbonate, but that's just my 2 cents, take that and $6-8 and buy a pint at the pub and think it over before you dump it.
:tank:
May be you are right and it tears my heart out to waste 20 liters of beer but is it worth taking a risk on my health ?

Wikipedia sez:
Dissolved in water, sodium percarbonate yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen), sodium cations Na+, and carbonate CO2−3.

I'm not worried about the health consequences of this accident. My best guess is that the beer will be just fine.

However, even if @meaulnes2 actually likes the flavor of the resulting beer, I'm unlikely to add sodium percarbonate as a flavor adjunct :)

Wikipedia sez:
Dissolved in water, sodium percarbonate yields a mixture of hydrogen peroxide (which eventually decomposes to water and oxygen), sodium cations Na+, and carbonate CO2−3.

I'm not worried about the health consequences of this accident. My best guess is that the beer will be just fine.

However, even if @meaulnes2 actually likes the flavor of the resulting beer, I'm unlikely to add sodium percarbonate as a flavor adjunct :)
If you toss it in right after pitching it may be a nice O2 boost for the yeast.

Just kidding.

The Spectrum SDS says the oral LD50 for rats is 1034 mg/kg so I wouldn't worry about the safety of it if it was me. You can check that SDS to verify. No idea if it will affect the taste. I'd let it finish and try if it was mine but I'm not qualified to give medical advice to others!😉

Last edited:
That's a very small amount, I doubt you'd even taste it.
Also, at such a high dilution, Sodium Percarbonate is not harmful either.

Don't lose sleep over it, much bigger mistakes can be made and still yield a very drinkable beer.

The Spectrum SDS says the oral LD50 for rats is 1034 mg/kg so I wouldn't worry about the safety of it if it was me. You can check that SDS to verify. No idea if it will affect the taste. I'd let it finish and try if it was mine but I'm not qualified to give medical advice to others!😉
I admit that it is certainly not deadly. But the concern here is not to die but to know the health effects (in repeated doses). I'm not particularly worried, just vigilant.

It is said to break down rapidly into calcium carbonate, water and oxygen.
So why do all the safety data sheets say not to release it into the environment?

It is said to break down rapidly into calcium carbonate, water and oxygen.
So why do all the safety data sheets say not to release it into the environment?
Because rapidly does not mean instantaneously. It's a strong oxidizing agent. If enough of it is released it can do its damage before it breaks down.

Back